Stunning Ray Guns. Great Site.

Singer Telepathic

Go to this site for an amazing collection of, well... everything. Click on the Stunning Ray Guns link but definitely check out all the other crazy stuff. A remarkable collection of high design exotica.

http://www.oobject.com

What an odd site... I guess people vote to determine the best of whatever objects are featured at the time. Kind of a cool idea. They've definitely got some nice guns on the list... but I've gotta say, some of them are hardly what I'd include in a list of, as the title says, "23 Stunning Ray Guns." Forget rare, forget expensive, forget any of the things that only collectors care about... from a purely design-oriented point of view, a lot of the featured examples are just dull. There are so many fantastic looking guns -- dozens and dozens -- that I'd expect their list of 23 to be one amazing toy after another. In reality... eh. Not so much.

Still, it's nice to see ray guns getting any publicity at all. ;)

What an odd site... I guess people vote to determine the best of whatever objects are featured at the time. Kind of a cool idea. They've definitely got some nice guns on the list... but I've gotta say, some of them are hardly what I'd include in a list of, as the title says, "23 Stunning Ray Guns." Forget rare, forget expensive, forget any of the things that only collectors care about... from a purely design-oriented point of view, a lot of the featured examples are just dull. There are so many fantastic looking guns -- dozens and dozens -- that I'd expect their list of 23 to be one amazing toy after another. In reality... eh. Not so much.

Still, it's nice to see ray guns getting any publicity at all. ;)

I agree that many of the guns are not too special by our standards, but these folks aren't really ray gun afficianados, mostly I gather, just design freaks. Some of us can, of course, join the site and show them what a stun(ning) gun REALLY looks like. But mostly I wanted everyone to see the other remarkable designs.

Oh, I agree -- it's definitely approaching it from a design point of view. But that's actually why I was surprised to see the toys they picked. Numbers 22 and 23, in particular, don't strike me as all that visually impressive. Maybe if they stopped at 18 pieces instead of 23...

But yeah, you're right. The site's such a wealth of interesting design that it's definitely worth spending some time poking through the pages. And I still think that the very idea behind the web site is pretty cool.

This one has my vote hands down. Most ray guns don't attract my attention due to a lack of design functionality. Too hard to sight ,carry and holster. All essential requirements for battlefield weapons. Sorry -_- I know they are just toys,but thats me. This gun is near perfect. ;) I would buy this gun. Very nice except the safety latch colors are backwards. :( Love the silencer on the last photo of this gun. Noisy light ?

http://www.rayguns-r-us.com/raygunsgallery1.htm

Here's a real ray gun that might appeal to you, Mark. The government's ADS Active Denial System. Shoots a heat ray up to 500Meters at 50 degrees celsius, 122 degrees fahrenheit that slightly penetrates the skin. No ill effects but a helluva lot of discomfort. Sound good for Iraq! ;)

post-221-1190947154.jpg

The thing I like about toy space guns, Eagle, is their complete, ridiculous lack of functionality. The idea that THESE are the weapons of the future appeals to me -- people in the next 100 years will obviously care more about looking stylish than looking dangerous!

Now that's my kinda future! :)

Here's a real ray gun that might appeal to you, Mark. The government's ADS Active Denial System. Shoots a heat ray up to 500Meters at 50 degrees celsius, 122 degrees fahrenheit that slightly penetrates the skin. No ill effects but a helluva lot of discomfort. Sound good for Iraq! ;)

No for Iraq or other places in the Middle East, a disrupter would be even better. B)

No Pyrotomic Disintergrator!?!? No Daisy XZ-38 Buck Rogers?!?!?

I should disintergrate them all with a wave-resonating-proton-deconbobulator!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Lee , are you referring to this discombobulator ? :blink:

No a discombobulator works via nuclear mesonic decoupling to turn protoplasm into goop - deconbobulating is very different - it makes less of a smell....

Archived