Buck Rogers Sonic Ray (gun)

Tinman

I found a BR Sonic Ray today in a local shop, actually it's been there for a while but I finally asked to take a look at it. Anyway, when I opened it up it looked real clean inside with no rust or corrosion. What I did find in the gun was a brass disk, a lightbulb with plastic holder, and the reflector turned around backwards. This is the version of the gun that has the small brass knob on the side but I have no idea what it's purpose is. The physical appearance of the gun is very good with minimal playwear and appears hardly used. The trigger doesn't click, but then again, I'm not sure what it supposed to do.

Questions:

- The brass disk?

- The brass knob on the side?

- Was the reflector turned around backwards or does the "pointy" end normally face towards the front of the gun?

- What happens when the trigger is pulled, are you supposed to feel the trigger activate something?

- Do these things normally work after all these years or should I be happy adding a static example to my collection?

- Average price for a loose example?

This particular gun is black with yellow tip, red trigger, and red & yellow colored disks on the side of the gun. It also has a red sight.

Bill, The little metal knob controls the spacing of what should be a contact with wire leading to the back inside the gun. The reflector faces large end out, the bulb goes through the hole and screws into the red bulb holder with the brass battery contact. requires two batteries and lights and buzzes when the trigger is applied, no click. A lot of times they're missing the lens on the outer screw on head and the bulb holder. The batteries usually hold the front parts in place. I just put a spacer like a hollow tube the size of two batteries for display. Because the kids kept batteries in them a lot have rusted springs and other metal parts inside. Also the fins are often chipped or broken. Gun prices mid range would be $40. for black, red and yellow,$75.00, green $85. With good box add about $50.+. Depends where you live on prices. ;)

Thanks for the info Phil. It sounds like the gun is mostly complete but is missing the lens. The inside is very clean and it shows light playware overall...but the price is a bit higher than your numbers. It's always good to ask! Thanks.

Bill, I forgot to tell you that you can use a stiff plastic from a clam shell package, measure the opening on the front and cut one to glue in. They're easy to make. I can make one for you this week and send it to you. You can tack glue it in with a few drops of epoxy or clear glue. Quite often the clean lens is missing because the original glue dries out and they fall out and disappear. Send me your email address by alphadrome.

Bill, I forgot to tell you that you can use a stiff plastic from a clam shell package, measure the opening on the front and cut one to glue in. They're easy to make. I can make one for you this week and send it to you. You can tack glue it in with a few drops of epoxy or clear glue. Quite often the clean lens is missing because the original glue dries out and they fall out and disappear.

The shop has a price of $95 on the gun which seems to be about double your numbers. No rust or corrosion on the inside, the "fins" on the lens holder and gun body are unbroken and ding/scratch free, and other areas I would expect to see playwear show light use. I'm thinking if I keep my eyes peeled I can do better?

You know how it is as a collector. I can wait and find a better deal or example at a better price...or have one now!

Archived