Johnny 5 Upgrade

Phil R

post-221-1186273184.jpgMy daughter is now on board as well as my wife. She bought me \the latest issue Fall 2007 of robot magazine. Great stuff especially the Johnny 5 upgrade. 😄

post-221-1186273184.jpg

Hi Phil, Yes I have seen it many times, but it's not "A" Johnny 5 it's a Johnny 5 "WANNABE"

it's by LYNXMOTION, and they call it their Johnny 5, and of course it's another look-a-like to me.

By the way the real one sold on e-bay for $120,000 on Friday! So now I am depressed.

But thanks for the info.

MMM

Hi Phil, Yes I have seen it many times, but it's not "A" Johnny 5 it's a Johnny 5 "WANNABE"

it's by LYNXMOTION, and they call it their Johnny 5, and of course it's another look-a-like to me.

By the way the real one sold on e-bay for $120,000 on Friday! So now I am depressed.

But thanks for the info.

MMM

Was it bought by anyone we would know, like a Mr. Nike or maybe a known rock-star?

I really don't know who bought it Pat!

I wish I did, I would love to see it some day!

even if it's just a visit.

with the buyer premium plus shipping I imagine it still went for the $150,000 range in price!

I guess I'll just sit here and play with my toy size models that I build! Oh well!

MMM

Well since Mark P. already has a origional J5 it probably was not him, but a rumor going around says it might have been Paul Allen.

Well if it was Paul Allen at least he does own the Science Fiction Museum there in Seattle Wa.

Then this way at least Johnny 5 will be in a museum where many fans can still enjoy getting a look at him!

I hope it's true that it was purchased by Paul Allen, He cares about Sci-Fi Memorabilia and it's in a good place.

Well since Mark P. already has a origional J5 it probably was not him, but a rumor going around says it might have been Paul Allen.

I thought the one on ebay was the Original :huh:

Ozzie, What Mark P. has is what is called a STUNT Robot of Johnny 5. This is the one John Rigg took his measurements from to build his remote control one that is at the Robot Hut.

The One that sold on e-bay was called the HERO Robot Johnny 5, believe it or not this is the one that actually short circuited and then became the most reliable functional one that could be used for both movies.

I found this out by speaking with Eric Allard the guy who built all the robots for both movies and even the small toy size ones specifically used in the second movie.

Eric Allard also told me that there were only Two (2) fully functional Radio Controlled full size NOVA Robots, the first being the actual Johnny 5, the HERO BOT. The second fully operating one was sent to NASA's JPL labratories for testing and design to build the Mars Rovers, and he has the shipping slip to prove it was sent to JPL!!! So now you know where the Mars Rovers were planned from, that's right! Johnny5!!!!

In total there were fifteen (15) large 1to1 scale robots built for the movies, most however were just puppet parts or torso's for close up shots. As for the toy size versions there were only fifty (50) of those made and then only fifteen (15) of those were radio controlled moveable ones just for the movie. None ever got made into an actual toy version nor did any company ever make them, although many idiots out there still claim till this day that they were sure they saw one for sale someplace.

The only ones that do come up for sale are the actual props from the movie, and most were given to the cast and crew of the movies, the best of them went to the executives for those movies, I even contacted Kenneth Johnson the Director of Short Circuit 2 and he told me he has two of those toy size versions one is a radio controlled the other is just a statue.

Now other than those that were made by Eric Allard and his team at All Effects, his company I am the only other person who has made a toy size Johnny 5 that actually get sold to the general public, and mine is purely an artistic work of art.

It's what's called a fan-made work of art, it is not mass produced and never will be and it's numbers are very limited to say less than a hundred, even I have only built 14 of them but have sold 32 of them, I sold 18 of them as a model kits.

Now, However I won't sell the model kit anymore, I wouldn't want anybody to copy all my hard work, plus I seem to be the only one who puts them together in the proper way to make them look just like the movie version.

And only ONE Alphadrome member has bought one! That would be Florida Robot Jim.

These J5's are not easy to make or put together to make them look just like the movie version, it's like scratch building from pictures each time one is made, even though I have the parts, and there are a lot of parts and every one of them have to be cleaned sanded scraped primed glued into position then finally painted the right color. It's like putting a model together with NO instructions, and there are lots of ways to mess the whole thing up if your not familiar with how it goes together or even how it really looks, I mean just how many would actually study how it looks and then how to put it together, NOT MANY. And then again, hardly anyone cares about all the work that goes into such a project, maybe outside of other builders Like John Rigg and Andybot and the rest of the builders here on the board.

No most would rather buy something that has been mass produced from all time periods, Same Robot same Kind same price, but they are not rare or unique because they were mass produced. But a true One-Of-Kind is mostly ignored by those that claim that they love robots, sometimes I just don't understand.

Enough of my rant....Sorry to offend anybody.....I don't mean to.

MMM

Archived