Blechroboters Adventure With The Garage Bot

Blechroboter

Just happened!

I took a Space Walk Man to modify him... dissassembled him... paint him in a new colour... and assembled him except the chest and head.

Now the functions check. I put the batteries into the robot, place him on the floor and turn the switch on.

He walks forward, stops, the guns popped out, he turns tree times, the guns popped back with a big bang and ..... nothing, no action, nichts!! %#*?&§$$§"?~~~~~ :angry:

I turned the switch off and leaved the room to calm down myself. After 5 minutes I came back and smelt a really bad stench. Short circuit!

The D cells get hot and the upper metal spiral was melting through the plastic of the batterie box. S.O.S. :glare: Put the batteries out and saved the house. :P

Good thing they were not lithium batteries-KABOOM!!

We had a GPS radio here at work in the lab and the technician hooked the unit wrong, next thing we knew, we were extracting parts out of the ceiling.

Too bad about the bot, although the event might have made an interesting video.

wow!!! you got lucky no further damage was done. sorry to hear .

nothing worse than a short . probably a simple touch of the circuit ( frayed wire) touching the wrong place. they can be a pain to find!!!

Sometimes when the battery box is reinstalled it can droop lower then the original installation. When this happens the battery can short to the battery door or the body of the robot. In general these robots are very self destructive because of the violent actions and critical timing of the door open walking beam. :huh:

That sounds like a bit of bad luck, I never thought of toy robots as a fire risk. better not tell the insurance company they will probably increase the premium.

Guest Scott Cragstan

Yikes, sorry to hear that Blech but thanks for sharing. Good to know something wierd like that is possible. I'd have never considered the robot was going supernova when it stopped working either, like you I'd have just assumed not working meant... well, not working.

Guess it makes sense though. I found out in college it's not a good idea to put a battery in your pocket along with a bunch of change... HOT!

Thank you all for your compassion and pieces of advice.

Well, where was the short circuit?

The upper edge of the tin metal shield with the guns touched a solder spot (is this the correct word?)

of the batterie box. How can this happened? I made a function check before I dissambled the robot.

One chest door doesn´t close at all. I bent the gun shield so that the door can close. That was the mistake!

What´s with robot? I bent the gun shield back and the robot works. More lucky than smart. :lol:

Archived