A Fun Project Idea For All Who Love Robots

Stotzbotz

Hello fellow robot lovers. STOTZBOTZ here. I am new to Alphadrome and would like to share a hobby of mine that is rewarding, fun for the single person or whole family, inexpensive and very good for the enviroment. As you may or may not know, I have recently posted a couple of life sized unique robots that I built mostly from disgarded metal parts that were piled up behind a sheet metal shop. After many hours of thinking, cutting, grinding, drilling, polishing, etc, I believe that I have built museum quality robots that everybody seems to enjoy. A great hobby that you can do by yourself or with a loved one is to go to your local junk yards, dumps, industrial factoy scrap piles, dumpsters at construction sites, anywhere that has free scrap parts of any kind, and pick out some stuff that might be put together with other parts to make a great robot sculpture. Make a robot 12 inches tall or 12 feet tall. The only money that you are allowed to spend is on nuts, bolts, screws and possibly some lighting material. By going to garage sales, you can sometimes pick up lamps or other lighting materials at a fraction of the cost that you would pay at a store, and modify them to your liking. You will be amazed and proud of yourself when you take what used to be junk that was headed for a landfill and create your own robot masterpiece for all to admire. Halloween is right around the corner. You have plenty of time to make a really unique robot that could possibly be the talk of the town. Kids years from now that will be adults will think back to your fascinating robot that scared the candy out of them one creepy Halloween night. If you have kids and have been looking for a project to get involved with them in, this is it. Use you imagination and together come up with your own bot. You will be glad you did. Of course you should let everyone at Alphadrome enjoy your creation but don't worry if everybody doesn't like your robot sculpture. The main thing is that you had lots of fun hunting down parts, creating a one of a kind robot and you kept some stuff from going into our already overflowing landfill.

Stotz,,,,,,,,Dont get me wrong,,it's a great idea,,,but in my case what with the Dollar store comp and the renovation of my house I think I will have to put this one on the 'back burner',,but it is a nice idea ,one that I have thought about myself before,,so when the time is right 'Watch this space' :)

I agree Stotz, building lifesize robots from "junk" is a super hobby. I was very impressed with the picture you posted of one of your creations recently. After I finish my R2, (that will be my last movie robot) it will only be project robots from junk for me. They will also be "outdoor robots" as I've run out of robot room in our house (according to my wife). An advantage of building them from scratch like that is they are very inexpensive to create and are fairly easy to build since there are no hard rules to follow in the construction.

One of my favorite robot builders from scratch is Clayton Bailey http://www.claytonbailey.com/ However, be warned, some people may be offended by some of his work as there are some anitomically correct robots and some really off the wall stuff. But I think his work is very cool and even bought his book which shows many of his robots.

My next from scratch robot project will be two robots sitting on a bench (with bus stop sign) on my front (covered) walkway. I actually found this picture from one of the alphadrome members several months ago. The only difference in my building is I also use wood, styrene and paint in addition to scrap metal and ??? to make my robots.

post-528-1185450884.jpg

Jim:

I just sent you an Email in regards to the Bus stop robots. I would be very interested in building this project.

Let me know what you think.

Jim:

I just sent you an Email in regards to the Bus stop robots. I would be very interested in building this project.

Let me know what you think.

Cool ... let's do it ! I responded off line in an email as well.

Archived