Repro. W/u Planet To Battery Op.

MetalRobotHead

Just asking if any body knows if the Galaxy robot (image below) electric motor and gear assembly can be easily transplanted into a repro. wind up Planet robot. I am looking at converting a W/U Planet to battery op. and trying to find the neatest way to do it. I would also use an old battery dog remote that takes D cells to give it a more authentic look.

post-214-1184580659.jpg

It sure sounds like a great way to go since I'm sure that battery drive train will fit inside that Planet body. I had John Rigg make me several battery-op Planets, but knowing John the way I do, I think he simply installed motors and re-worked the whole system. But I were going to attempt it myself, I would follow your idea and transplant the guts from this guy. Good Luck! ;)

It sure sounds like a great way to go since I'm sure that battery drive train will fit inside that Planet body. I had John Rigg make me several battery-op Planets, but knowing John the way I do, I think he simply installed motors and re-worked the whole system. But I were going to attempt it myself, I would follow your idea and transplant the guts from this guy. Good Luck! ;)

Thanks for the encouragement robothunter, I have been thinking about this little project for some time. Just need to find the Galaxy at the cheapest price seeing as its going to be stripped out.

Thanks for the encouragement robothunter, I have been thinking about this little project for some time. Just need to find the Galaxy at the cheapest price seeing as its going to be stripped out.

MRH,,,,,,,,,Jay at Robot Island has got them for sale,I bought one from him about a year ago, at $17.50 / £9.00 Our money ,I think that's a good price,I know you've got to add the shipping on that aswell,but I've never seen them for sale in England,Maybe he might have some more you are interested in,that way the shipping doesn't seem so bad. ..In my expieriance he really gives a fast efficiant service :)

MRH,,,,,,,,,Jay at Robot Island has got them for sale,I bought one from him about a year ago, at $17.50 / £9.00 Our money ,I think that's a good price,I know you've got to add the shipping on that aswell,but I've never seen them for sale in England,Maybe he might have some more you are interested in,that way the shipping doesn't seem so bad. ..In my expieriance he really gives a fast efficiant service :)

Thanks for the info Spark but having looked at a previous post by Robothut I have decided to copy the method and graft a motor with worm gear fitted driving the gear that did have a flint. on top of the chassis with a small lamp bulb wired in, advantage is I have most of the parts in my garage. Work in progress.

post-214-1185265648.jpg

Waiting to apply another coat of "Rover Cars" Moonraker paint. You can tell I haven't got much else to do today, and its a nice sunny day for a change. :rolleyes:

post-214-1185273424.jpg

Always happy to see a Robby styled robot project in the works. Keep it up and let's see more pics as it developes. Thanks! ;)

Always happy to see a Robby styled robot project in the works. Keep it up and let's see more pics as it developes. Thanks! ;)

A bit more progress, just waiting for the worm gear to arrive in the post.

post-214-1185348928.jpg

Its finished. Runs very smooth, but slow walker due to the new worm gear that drives the gear that previously carried the flint for sparking being being a bit too small diameter. I fixed and wired up a maglite bulb at the top rear of the motor to give head illumination, can be seen lit up in the photos . Worth the effort though. :D

Many thanks to Robothut, John Rigg for the original idea on how to convert it. hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea John :D

post-214-1185919613.jpg

post-214-1185919648.jpg

post-214-1185990937.jpg

Guest Scott Cragstan

Very nice, MHR. :)

I take it you've probably had these repop Planet Robots for awhile? I purchased one a few months back that had such a lousy grille over the dome I gave it away to a friend at work... the bars were so misshapen that they were almost completely straight lines with nearly no curve at all. Both examples shown here flow smoothly as they should.

Very nice, MHR. :)

I take it you've probably had these repop Planet Robots for awhile? I purchased one a few months back that had such a lousy grille over the dome I gave it away to a friend at work... the bars were so misshapen that they were almost completely straight lines with nearly no curve at all. Both examples shown here flow smoothly as they should.

Thanks all, Scott you are absolutely correct, I bought a few repro planets when they first came out. now you mention it I seem to recall seeing some recent repro. planets with strange grille parts. Quality control going down I guess.

Archived