The Making Of A Robot

Grandpa

I've received a couple of emails asking about my robot making machine, I wish I had one. I have a laser that cuts out parts that are assembled to make a robot. Here is the process used. The design is first layed out in a CAD program used to output to the laser to cut the parts, once the parts are cut the automation stops and it's all hand work to finish the robot. The parts are first thermally bonded, sanded, the seams are filled with body putty and sanded again, then the edges are routed to round the edges. The assembly is then primmed and wet sanded and spot filler is used for any minor imperfections, wet sanded, primmed again, then it gets 2 color coats followed by 2 clear coats of paint. It is wet sanded between coats.

I've added a couple of pictures for some of the process. The first is the CAD layout, two pictures of a head that has the first primmer coat and then a photo of a new design that has just been thermally bonded. I hope this clears up the question of my magic robot making machine. (The head will have 32 individual parts when it is complete)

post-242-1184503652.jpg

post-242-1184503670.jpg

post-242-1184503685.jpg

post-242-1184503697.jpg

Gramps,explain thermally bonded and does the laser leave melted edges as it cuts? I want to see this thing in action.

Gramps,explain thermally bonded and does the laser leave melted edges as it cuts? I want to see this thing in action.

Eagle, thermally bonded is using a chemical solvent that actually welds the edges together. The edges of the acrylic is just like flame polished edges using a torch.

Here is a link to the laser I have: laser link

Archived