Robby Road Roller, Perfect for 20 Seconds!

Nick in NY

So I finally bought a Robby Road Construction Roller in pretty good condition overall. Turned it on, and it worked beautifully. Twenty seconds after I turned it on, the light bulb burned out. All the years the toy existed with the original light, and now it burns out when I put my hands on it (pretty sure that's what happened). Anyone know how to replace the bulb?

Guest Scott Cragstan

Nick, congrats on getting a Robby Road Roller, that's an awesome find! I'm sure you'll get some good direction soon on the bulb, we have some super-talented folks on here when it comes to things like that.

Just curious on what type of battery was used? Darryl was good enough to let me know when I was having trouble getting batteries to fit in the compartment of a robot I bought in April that new batteries were not only bigger but so much more powerful they would burn out the lights on these old guys. Scary stuff, so now I only use the old-fashioned Evereadys you can get at places like Family Dollar, and so far, so good.... well, except for the ones that arrive with a burned out bulb, any robot that has two bulbs invariable seems to have one out when I get them, LOL! And that really could be the case with yours, just after some shaking in transit, it just might have been "it's time" to go.

Good luck with the bulb, and again, congrats on the Robby Road Roller!

:) They certainly do throw the parcels around in transit, even though they may be marked as fragile. It (the bulb's filament) probably got shaken loose in shipping and, possibly if you were using some modern batteries, they killed it anyway. Alphadrome member Kenalexruss always has an add on ebay for repairs such as this for a fixed rate, try him. -Larry7

Oh, the pain. The pain! I know how crummy you must feel over this. But if the robot is really minty, think twice about opening it up just to replace a light bulb. Or have a real pro like John or Ken do it so it's really invisible afterward that any work was done. Especially since this is such a pricey robot. I know it's come down in value lately (not really sure why?) but my MINT boxed example cost me almost $7k from Europe many years ago.

Oh, the pain. The pain! I know how crummy you must feel over this. But if the robot is really minty, think twice about opening it up just to replace a light bulb. Or have a real pro like John or Ken do it so it's really invisible afterward that any work was done. Especially since this is such a pricey robot. I know it's come down in value lately (not really sure why?) but my MINT boxed example cost me almost $7k from Europe many years ago.

Pat, between you and me, ROBOTNUT has done some absolutely invisible repairs to a few of our 'bots. Another master in our midst... ;)

I am very grateful for repair leads and will probably request one of the experts mentioned to make repairs. Actually, the Roller was not mint. "Perfect" as in perfect for me. There is corrosion in the battery box, although it's been cleaned up somewhat. Aside from that and the light no longer working, it looks very good (guess a C-8 overall). I did use alkaline batteries when I turned it on (they were a bit of a tight fit). Guess those batteries blew the bulb. I paid $2900.00 for this with an original robot box in fair condition.

• Brian.. changed the title to Robby Road Roller, Perfect for 20 Seconds!

Archived