Has A Repro Been Made Of This Space Gun?

Tinman

I found a gun of this type in a local shop for a good price and was wondering if it was a repro? This is a "borrowed" photo and not the actual piece I'm thinking of purchasing, which is in great shape. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

post-329-1184297612.jpg

Guest kenalexruss

I suggest you tell me what shop you found this in and I'll personally have a look at it :P

That is a great piece and I have never seen a repro of it. If the price is right, I'd nail it...me, I'd nail it! Tell me where it is!!!!

Tinman -I agree with Ken, the gun you show was never reproduced to my knowledge. Actually there are very few ray guns that have been reproduced. The lines are blurred a little too - there are some "knock offs" floating around which aren't quite "reproductions" in the true sense, and there are some vintage tin ray gun designs still being produced in Japan - again, not technically a reproduction.
Good question - this subject merits some further research.....

Fin's correct, it's never been reproduced. These aren't the most common of the Japanese tin litho guns, and they're kind of on the older side. Every once in a while you'll see a run of them on ebay, but then you'll go a while without any. A nice piece. I've seen them sell for $100, I've seen them sell for $250, sometimes a bit more with the box. Not sure what the "right" price is on the toy. Pay what you think it's worth to you and you can't go wrong.

One addendum to Fin's post -- the Tigret Atom Flash Zoomeray HAS been reproduced, though under some other name. I've seen it at various novelty stores in NYC. I'm pretty sure it's sold in a blister card thing, not a box or bag/header card. The new one doesn't have the correct "chinese yo yo" paper thing on the front -- graphics are wrong, and it's missing the tinsel tassle that's supposed to be present on original Zoomerays (though is often missing...).

Archived