Door Robot Problems

RotoBadger

Push for a $300 refund which I am sure you would get and then do the repair yourself. Just be carefull with the tabs and the jobs a doddle.

I did it with mine as wire was so brittle that it would not display well.

Just remember one thing RB, 99% of the robots around have been apart by someone at some time and unless the tabs are broken and missing it has little bearing on value. Rust and dents are the real killer.

So, go for a fair refund and do the job yourself. The feeling of achievment is tremendous so go for it !!!!!!!

Just remember one thing RB, 99% of the robots around have been apart by someone at some time and unless the tabs are broken and missing it has little bearing on value. So, go for a fair refund and do the job yourself. The feeling of achievment is tremendous so go for it !!!!!!!

...I seem to be in the opposing situation, 99% of mine have NEVER been opened. Literally! I've had a lot of 'em since they were relatively new. ROBOTNUT's my witness as he's the only surgeon (amazing work, I'd dare anyone to detect his dismantling) my 1% have ever been under the (butter) knife with! :P :lol: :rolleyes: They've all behaved themselves and a twice-yearly run keeps them happy, the running of the 'bots happens again this fall with Darryl and family converging for the Toronto Toy Show.

I'm rootin' for ya Roto!!! ;)

Guest Scott Cragstan

A point to consider in all this too is that you and all of the other folks who went after this robot all thought you were bidding on one you felt was good to go. Would you, or any of the other bidders, have been willing to go this high (or have even placed a bit at all) for something that would have to immediately need to leave your possession and be sent off for repairs? For who knows how long?

The options presented to you so far don't seem to be taking any of this into consideration and therefore seem very unfair. Good luck and keep us posted.

A point to consider in all this too is that you and all of the other folks who went after this robot all thought you were bidding on one you felt was good to go. Would you, or any of the other bidders, have been willing to go this high (or have even placed a bit at all) for something that would have to immediately need to leave your possession and be sent off for repairs? For who knows how long?

The options presented to you so far don't seem to be taking any of this into consideration and therefore seem very unfair. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'd say it would've brought maybe $510 under those conditions. Just a guess. :rolleyes:

i have had a similar problem before .... i chose to shut up and keep the robot ....i made a mistake ..... if you ever sell it . are you going to disclose that the wire is not original and robot has been opened? you paid for mint and original . i dont feel you will get it back when you sell and disclose the repalcement.

good luck

On the subject of wires alone, I lean toward viewing them as a consumable, much like ignition ("plug") wires on a car. Eventually, plug wires get hard and brittle and don't conduct electricity so well. Plus, new plug wires make a car run better. So, as long as you stick with OEM wires on your car, there's no reason not to replace them.

My feelings tend to be along this point of Keith's. As long as everything else about this robot pleases you - then the option of having a professional repair (and having them have to sweat over doing it right) is the one I would choose. These wires will get very brittle over time and I think it would actually give me piece of mind to know I have new, reliable wiring - again, as long as the rest of the robot was functioning correctly. Also, this brings up the point that you probobly haven't even seen this Door Robot in action yet! If it was handed over to Tin Toy Works then I would imagine you could count on a fully functional robot when it finally arrived back in your hands.

Bottom line, it looks like a split decision on the board.

When I got my Door Robot I had to fix the exact same type of wire break. Luckily for me it was about a half inch from the remote so all I had to do was pull the wire through and re-solder inside the remote. The robot is working now but the wire is still so brittle it's only a matter of time before it happens again and this time probably in the middle of the wire. To be honest, if I were offed to have Classic Tin Toy re-wire my Door Robot right now for free - I'd take it! As it is I don't run my door nearly as often as I would if the wire wasn't ready to break so easily. To all of the perspectives offered here I'll add this one for your consideration - even if the wire survived the shipping it's likely that the break would have happened sooner or later and then you would not have the offer to have it professionally repaired for free, for that reason it may be a good idea to take that offer. Just food for thought. Good luck on whatever course you choose.

I'd go for either a full refund or a repair along with an appropriate price (market) adjustment. Between those two, I would choose the latter. Or maybe the former. Yes, that's it... one or the other for sure.

Why not try for the best of both worlds - see if you can make a deal that Classic will repair the robot with the stipulation if you rnot satisfied with the repair -you will then get a full refund.

Archived