Door Robot Problems

RotoBadger

Sorry to start a new thread but I really need advice on this one. I received and email this morning from Craig at Smith house toys. He offered me one of two options. 1. $100 refund. 2. Return the Door Robot and he will have Tin Toy Works repair the robot and then return it to me. The problem I have with option 2 is not that the robot will have a new wire but the robot will have to be opened to be fixed. I feel this diminishes the value. Also, 100 bucks does not cover the difference between what I would have paid for a Door Robot with a broken cable.

Another option is to fix the cable myself. The only problem is that I do NOT want to open the robot so I would have to break the wire somewhere and install a new wire.

What should I do? Should I push the issue and tell him I want a refund? Should I have it repaired? Should I chose who repairs it? What would you do? Help!

Guest kenalexruss

I say option 4, where you get your money back and look for a new one. However, almost all of them have the wire problem. Next, most of these have already been opened. So, probably the best negotiations will be where you add a zero to $100 in refund!

Well, you can't do better than Tin Toy Works for repair work - they do quality repairs. As far as lessening the value of the robot, having a replaced wire to the remote that functions well and is not brittle is a fair trade off in value I think. Given the relative rarity/ desirability of the Door I think it has a negligable affect on the overall value. I do agree that a full refund should be available to you as an option too.

Sorry to start a new thread but I really need advice on this one. I received and email this morning from Craig at Smith house toys. He offered me one of two options. 1. $100 refund. 2. Return the Door Robot and he will have Tin Toy Works repair the robot and then return it to me. The problem I have with option 2 is not that the robot will have a new wire but the robot will have to be opened to be fixed. I feel this diminishes the value. Also, 100 bucks does not cover the difference between what I would have paid for a Door Robot with a broken cable.

Another option is to fix the cable myself. The only problem is that I do NOT want to open the robot so I would have to break the wire somewhere and install a new wire.

What should I do? Should I push the issue and tell him I want a refund? Should I have it repaired? Should I chose who repairs it? What would you do? Help!

Andy - Ask yourself this...Would you pay $1,500.00 for a Door Robot with a professionally replaced remote wire? If yes, then take the deal. You couldn't normally hire Heinz to do this job for $100 with shipping/insurance so you're ahead of the game. If not, demand a full refund. GOOD LUCK!!!!

You can almost count on remote wires being brittle on these things now that it's been fifty years, so I don't think you should feel terrible about that. If they didn't break on the way to you, they'd have broken shortly after when you tried to play with it or even put it on your shelf. If it had come with a nice pliable wire, you could probably figure it had already been replaced. The door robot has a weird way of tabbing together that makes the tabs even more apt to break when they're opened. If you're happy with the rest of the peice, take the Tin Toyworks repair option. It'll look as good as new and your wire will probably be good for another fifty years. I'll bet they're good at not breaking the itty bitty little tabs too.

If it were me, I would have the repair done. I have heard only positive feedback on Tin Toy Works, and I would be much happier with a functional toy than I would be with a pristine (except for broken wires) doorstop.

RB, did you pay with a CC? - If so, call them, see what your options are there. The deal from the auction house doesn't sound too cool to me - Good for them maybe, but unless you are happy, the deal smells. The CC company could have more leverage than you negotiating a better settlement.

On the subject of wires alone, I lean toward viewing them as a consumable, much like ignition ("plug") wires on a car. Eventually, plug wires get hard and brittle and don't conduct electricity so well. Plus, new plug wires make a car run better. So, as long as you stick with OEM wires on your car, there's no reason not to replace them.

Along these same lines, it seems that so long as one replaces a toy's wires with the same color and gauge, why not do it if the toy is otherwise not working? In this particular situation, if the "door has already been opened" (pun in there?), maybe you would do well to send it back for a full refund lest you risk broken tabs on the (presumed) second fix.

:) It simply doesn't sound like what you paid for. Negotiating is fine for items in the tens or even hundreds of dollars price range, but not for thousands.

Full refund is in order. If the house doesn't like that, let them talk to your cc company about it. There are too many other great robots out there awaiting your money!!! -Larry7

I always had fair dealings with Smith House when Herb owned it, so I think the buyer will be treated well here. It pays to know your seller!

I'd go with the option of having it repaired. I have had Randy's toy repair work on a few of my robots and they came back great! I don't know how much you paid but you are the one who must decide. GREAT ROBOT!

:) It simply doesn't sound like what you paid for. Negotiating is fine for items in the tens or even hundreds of dollars price range, but not for thousands.

Full refund is in order. If the house doesn't like that, let them talk to your cc company about it. There are too many other great robots out there awaiting your money!!! -Larry7

I agree with Larry7 here. Lately these have been coming up, still big bucks and still scarce but they are showing themselves more these days, either in NM shape or really gone. It's a tough choice, doesn't make up for what you thought you were getting, that's the (tin) rub.

i say if you can get a full refund take it! This robot is no where as rare as it used to be and many have come around in really nice condition.Usually between $1500- $1800.many have been close to mint.If this robot is opened to change the remote wire you do not ever want to have to open it again for a repai,r as these tabs will break and then the robot is certainly not as special.if your buying a $2.00 toy for $1500

get it as perfect as you can.I bought my first Door robot fron Cybertoys (Steve) many years ago for $3600

You see where they have gone from there.

It might be possible to replace the wire threw the door opening, I don't remeber for sure as it was years ago I replaced the wire on my door robot, either way I would let them repair the robot if it is important to you to have it in working condition. If it is more important to have it all 100% origional then leave it as is. You could always request that the origional bittle wire be sent back with the repaired robot so that you do have all the origional parts as a part of history.

I agree, a mint one can be had for $1500-$1800, and in my mind, it's worth waiting on one. Mostly because in these situations, when I look at the toy, all I see is the problem. I can't help it. And if you're anything like me, this can drive you nuts. (This is only the case when it's a fault I don't know about, not something I've already decided to accept.)

So, if it were me, I would ask for a full refund. I would politely point out that this is their fault, and that the description said nothing about broken wires. I would also point out to them that they are a supposedly reputable auction house, and as such, it seems surprising that they would leave out such a glaring fault. I would add that, if the toy wasn't broken during the catalogue write up, then they were damaged in shipping -- and again, as a reputable auction house, they should know better than to ship the toy in such a way as to break the wires.

Now, you might not be like me, and you might be able to see past a flaw as long as you feel like you got your money's worth... Sometimes, this isn't so bad. If this is your attitude, then I say go with option #2, the repair. HOWEVER... I would ONLY do this if the repair can be done without opening up the toy! The tabs on this robot are small, thin, and apt to snapping. And THAT'S NOT an easy thing to repair, and in my mind, it's a structural damage on an entirely different level than a busted wire.

I think you got screwed on this one, Roto, and I think that Smith House is hoping you'll just feel like there's nothing more you can do about it and that you won't push the issue. But I can't possibly see how you're not 100% in the right on this, and I don't think they have a leg to stand on if you demand your money back. Granted, there could be something in the auction contract I'm not aware of, and I'm certainly no lawyer, but this sort of situation looks pretty cut and dry -- they failed to deliver what was promised, and that's just messed up for an established company like Smith House.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Archived