Hybrid Robot Project

Grandpa

In the past my robots have been made entirely from laser cut acrylic with some cast parts. I've added some new equipment to my engraving and awards business that has changed that. If I had a litho design I would use the water slide decals, which was alright but not great, with the new equipment I can print directly to metal and with heat and pressure the image is fused to the metal.

Here is the Explorer II that uses laser cut acrylic with attached "litho" aluminum panels. The rivets are raised and feels and looks just like rivots.

post-242-1181610054.jpg

post-242-1181610091.jpg

The new artwork printer looks great! so tell us more about the machine that can print directly to metal and with heat and pressure the image is fused to the metal.

Does it come with it's own lead-lined box? :D

No kidding! It should have a radiation symbol on the back. ;)

Love it, Gramps!

The new artwork printer looks great! so tell us more about the machine that can print directly to metal and with heat and pressure the image is fused to the metal.

John,

It doesn't print directly to the metal in the true sense. The process is called Laser Sublimation. The printer is a color laser that uses special toner and prints to a release sheet that is then heat and pressure transfered to the metal. The heat press is similiar to a T-shirt press but heavier duty. It's not a cheap process, the toner alone is $1200 for 1500 prints of 30% coverage. The heat press is about $1500, then you also need the metal shear and corner punches, hole punches, etc.

No kidding! It should have a radiation symbol on the back. ;)

Love it, Gramps!

OPPS, guess it's not OSHA approved. :rolleyes:

B) Great one Ken !!! Same size as numero UNO ???

Christian,

It is larger, 7 1/4" tall. It is remote controlled and the LEDS are super bight that looks like headlights. The drive gear motor are the same ones used in the Robo Sapien. It has 2 microprossors, one to control the LED's and the other for power management. It uses 3 "AA" batteries.

I have to admit, the more I look at this robot the more I like it and it has become my favorite of the ones I have built.

This new fantastic process will make for some very very interesting projects as evidenced by the yours truly already pictured. Impressive as always.

This new fantastic process will make for some very very interesting projects as evidenced by the yours truly already pictured. Impressive as always.

He would look good next to his little brother, which you already have :rolleyes: Actually one like it, this one is going to Ozzie.

Guest Scott Cragstan

Excellent design, Grandpa, very true in flavor to the classics.... in fact if that photo was presented as such I'd not have even blinked, just marveled at how mint it was and wondered why I'd never seen that robot in a book somewhere before! :D

Wonderful concept and execution Grandpa! Very clean design, like that very much especially in that 'hook' blue.

Archived