Display: Ikea Glass Display Cases

RotoBadger

For those of you who have the ikea glass display cases with the non-adjustable glass shelves...I have a solution. After wracking my brain and trying all sorts of makeshift ideas I decided to go to Home Depot where I came across these little clamps. They are 39 cents each. All you have to do is clamp them to the side posts of the cabinet and place the glass on top of them. I was surprised at how stable they are. The only trick is getting them all equal levels so the glass sits flush against them...a level comes in handy and makes it much easier. So now I can put shelves at any level! See pictures below:

post-419-1181603695.jpg

post-419-1181603709.jpg

Hey ROTO - I missed you & your new cabinet. But I was sure, that you would find a solution! So please - would you like to show us your new "fixed " cabinet :P ??

Interesting... Is there a way to remove the green rubber? Or could you spray them black? Just something to make them a little less "in your face."

But as a solution, it seems to work pretty darn well.

You can buy similar plastic that you can dip stuff in to get the same effect. Automotive supply or paint stores should have it.

Interesting... Is there a way to remove the green rubber? Or could you spray them black? Just something to make them a little less "in your face."

But as a solution, it seems to work pretty darn well.

Dr. A: The green rubber comes off pretty easily however I left it on because it helps prevent slipping.

Nice but...couldn't you measure and drill some holes in the metal tubing to accept more traditional, less intrusive shelf tabs? Don't own Ikea, so I am just guessing...?

Robert -- they're more like metal rods -- pretty thin. You'd have to drill a very small hole, and drill it very carefully, to avoid screwing up the structural integrity of the support. I don't think I'd risk it on mine. Not the kind of thing I'd want to come crashing down... Shattered glass, crumpled tin, and broken dreams...

Guest Scott Cragstan

Thanks Roto and what a coincidence! I just bought two of those myself last Thursday and built them Sunday. I'm thrilled with how they look and plan on getting another one (or two) for future expansion.

The height of the shelves is just right for me, at least for now, but your suggestion will alleviate alot of anxiety. You see, despite the fact that IKEA is kind enough to provide a "Don't do this!" illustration at every step of the way, yours truly did miss one of those tips on the first cabinet and have the rungs for one of the "ladders" facing out instead of in. Didn't catch it until I had the door on and was completely done and ready to insert the glass shelves. I really don't think the shelves could fall since I only did that on the one side but the clamp idea will give definitely give me some piece of mind! And with a 90 pound dog in the house probably not a bad idea anyway as the weight rating is really quite low. :D

I wasn't going to post this yet as I have quite a few new robots on the way but since you started this thread I can't resist adding it now. I also picked up those two red Jetsons chairs too.

post-547-1181703859.jpg

Thanks Roto and what a coincidence! I just bought two of those myself last Thursday and built them Sunday. I'm thrilled with how they look and plan on getting another one (or two) for future expansion.

The height of the shelves is just right for me, at least for now, but your suggestion will alleviate alot of anxiety. You see, despite the fact that IKEA is kind enough to provide a "Don't do this!" illustration at every step of the way, yours truly did miss one of those tips on the first cabinet and have the rungs for one of the "ladders" facing out instead of in. Didn't catch it until I had the door on and was completely done and ready to insert the glass shelves. I really don't think the shelves could fall since I only did that on the one side but the clamp idea will give definitely give me some piece of mind! And with a 90 pound dog in the house probably not a bad idea anyway as the weight rating is really quite low. :D

I wasn't going to post this yet as I have quite a few new robots on the way but since you started this thread I can't resist adding it now. I also picked up those two red Jetsons chairs too.

Scott: Looking great! I just love seeing the clean displays you guys come up with, uncluttered and easy on the eye even both of 'em! I really enjoy having the boxes to 96+% of all our 'bots here at home but storing 'em until I do manage to get the cabinets I have in mind takes some do-ing. It's a tough go in that regard, the clean lines vs the literal art aspect of display.

Thanks for posting the great pics and I'm glad you were able to add those wonderful recent pieces over the past few weeks, nicely done. ;)

ps: Really enjoyed meeting you at Botstock, that goes for 'wife of Morbius' and *Altaira too!!

Guest Scott Cragstan

Thanks Morbius, and same here, great meeting you and your family! :D

(By the way I'm sure you spotted the Planet Robot on the top shelf of the left cabinet)

:D :D :D :D :D

Scott and Rotobadger.....the shelves look great...congrats....Scott where is your Mr Cragstan? nice clean looks....nasa

I wonder if real small, stainless steel hose clamps might also work? One on each of the four corners should do it. They'd be a little less noticable. The shelves are tempered glass, right? So, they should support the weight. Just as long as you don't use that particular shelf to display your toy robot book collection!

And, oh yeah, nice set up, Scott!

Robert -- they're more like metal rods -- pretty thin. You'd have to drill a very small hole, and drill it very carefully, to avoid screwing up the structural integrity of the support. I don't think I'd risk it on mine. Not the kind of thing I'd want to come crashing down... Shattered glass, crumpled tin, and broken dreams...

Thanks Doc, wasn't sure if it was possible or someone would have tried it! :D

Great display Scott, I like your layout on each shelf - very pleasing to the eye.

Archived