Space Boys - Rayguns

Sparkrobot

A little while back I posted a picture of a 1953 French magazine I found at a toy fair,,it had a great picture of a small boy in a space outfit with a ray gun ,,I thought it would be worth posting because I know there are quite a few ray gun collectors on Alphadrome..When I got home after the toy fair I realised why the magazine had caught my eye ,It reminded me of a picture I had taken of my two boys in the late 1970s..I thought it was worth posting both pics to show the comparison..And a nice excuse to show a pic of my kids from all those years ago.. :)

post-540-1181064049.jpg

post-540-1181064377.jpg

Guest kenalexruss

Spark,

That's the kind of stuff I love. However, I know that is you in the picture! Admit it! :lol:

Spark,

That's the kind of stuff I love. However, I know that is you in the picture! Admit it! :lol:

:blush: I've been found out.....Ken ,, Glad you liked it .But seriously that's a picure from about 1979 when my boys were 6 and 4 years old..

Wonderful photo Spark. I really like it.

And don´t be angry about Ken´s confusion! Your kids are the spitting image of you ;)

Yikes, Spark! Now THAT is some cool headgear!

How come I never had anything that cool when I was a kid... :(

...It reminded me of a picture I had taken of my two boys in the late 1970s..I thought it was worth posting both pics to show the comparison..And a nice excuse to show a pic of my kids from all those years ago.. :)

Guest kenalexruss

:blush: I've been found out.....Ken ,, Glad you liked it .But seriously that's a picure from about 1979 when my boys were 6 and 4 years old..

You and your kids are lucky to have such memories!

Guest Scott Cragstan

Okay, that's got to win an award for one of the best helmet designs ever. Hysterical.

And here's a cool shot I really like of a kid in that Le Patriote Illustre' getup playing with Robert the Robot...

post-547-1181100799.jpg

Great picture Sparkrobot. Can you tell us the story behind the costumes and helmets? From some TV show? What about the guns, anyone recognize them?

Scott - another great pic, apparently the Robert is a prototype - notice the different style remote.

Great picture Sparkrobot. Can you tell us the story behind the costumes and helmets? From some TV show? What about the guns, anyone recognize them?

Scott - another great pic, apparently the Robert is a prototype - notice the different style remote.

Scott,,,,,,,Are you sure it's not one of your clever computer 'put together ' pictures.. :ph34r: I'm only joking ,,Great find!

FJW,,,,,,,,,,I think the answers going to be somewhat of a dissapointment....As far as I can remember the helmets were just a cheap market toy from Hong Kong,not a well known make..I seem to remember they appealed more to me than the kids at the time,,In other words ,they had a Retro look about them even in the 70s,and I dont think the kids thought they were that cool..I cant remember anything about the guns ..Still I'm glad you liked the picture ,Because of Alphadrome it made me look through my old pics,,Now I'm going to get it enlarged and put it on the wall with the French mag picture...

I'm guessing by the way the "tubes" go from the mouth to the ears that the idea was that you could hear yourself talk like an astronaut or alien. I wonder if there was a diaphram of sorts in the mouthpiece to "effect" your voice.

Guest kenalexruss

I'm guessing by the way the "tubes" go from the mouth to the ears that the idea was that you could hear yourself talk like an astronaut or alien. I wonder if there was a diaphram of sorts in the mouthpiece to "effect" your voice.

Actually, that particular space outfit was designed to get kids interested in helping with chores around the house. The helmet actually doubles as a vacuum cleaner! Sure, dust and debris were a problem as the kid wearing the helmet provided the vacuum suction, but hey, what a fun way to help mom and dad clean the house!

Actually, that particular space outfit was designed to get kids interested in helping with chores around the house. The helmet actually doubles as a vacuum cleaner! Sure, dust and debris were a problem as the kid wearing the helmet provided the vacuum suction, but hey, what a fun way to help mom and dad clean the house!

Vacuum what? Ear wax? ;)

Great observation Andy - I bet you're right!

Great observation Andy - I bet you're right!

Andy,,and FJW,,,,,,,,,,,Andy was right ,,I couldn't remember [years of alchohol abuse] but my wife could ,,They did have a 'voice changer' thing built into them,,she also remebers buying them from a home shopping catologue we had over here called Freemans,,I tried to research them a bit more on google but I couldn't get anymore imfo yet,though I did find this picture that made me laugh,They say it's from the 50s but I think it's staged for a poster,,what do you think?

post-540-1181191974.jpg

Archived