gernot

And here is the LIVE ACTION of our meeting, please check it out:

SHIBAKIN ROBOT FACTORY #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuPXGTfu_2M

SHIBAKIN ROBOT FACTORY #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1ZdGPHWHfY

SHIBAKIN ROBOT FACTORY #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zGf0XdXYLM

The small videos have been taken by Takashi Morita with his camera during our visit.

Thank you Takashi, it was a pleasure to meet you there !!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've done that style of rivets before but I like how he taps them back in a bit with the wood block. He is definitely wicked with that hand saw! Perfect circle.

Thanks, Gernot!

Gernot thank you so much for this post. You are so fortunate to see and meet mr. Shibahaara. To see his work and how he creates his robots is fantastic. You have made my day my friend.I am truly inspired by this man.

Thank you so much for the wonderfully descriptive tour, photos and movies of this marvelous artist, Gernot. I have admired Mr. Shibahara's work since the first moment it was brought to our attention, and only wish i was more of a "player", able to afford one! I wondered for awhile whether they were made of paper, wood or metal, not that it mattered for they are truly unique and beautiful, but was amazed to find out that they actually were hand-crafted metal. I can appreciate the labor, patience and dedication, the loving obsession that is required to create these small masterpieces and i am sure that their new owners share in this appreciation.

I have been to many artist's studios, many who worked in metal, wood, clay etc. so i know what love and labor go into handcrafted art, but it is kind of rare to see this level of skill applied to my favorite obsession: Robots!

Someday I hope to add one of these to my own collection (hey, I can dream, can't I?) :blush:

Thanks again, Gernot.

Gernot,

Thanks again for this amazing look at Mr. Shibahara and his incredible artwork. I have read, and re-read this post several times - as well as checked out the video clips. I am a big fan of everything he has created so far (another tribute to Robot Talk since I would be totally unaware of this guy if not for Alphadrome!) , however, as much as I like what he has done so far...I think what I find most exciting is these 2 new projects we are privelidged to get a glimpse of 'in your report'. From my perspective - judging from the look of these skirted robots - I think the best is yet to come from his Artbot Factory! Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

I also very much appreciate this posting. Does this guy have a website? If not, someone should encourage him to start one.

Just a great post! Mr. Shibahara is a very great artesian. I personaly am not as excited by his robot designs as many of you seem to be , but I could not be more impressed by his tallents for construction! Just fantastic!

To follow the other topics about the Artbot Exhibition and the purchase of those nice samples by fellow alphadomers, here are some pictures from the place of origin of these wonderful robots.

First here are the Links to the other topics including these Robots from Mr. Shibahara:

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.php?showtopic=5948

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.php?showtopic=5766

"THE SHIBAKIN FACTORY"

Together with my long time japanese friend Nobuo Kumagai, the founder and owner of the famous OTTI (Osaka TIn Toy Institute) and together with the son of former robot collector Mr. Morita, dealer and owner of a toy shop in Tokyo (the son, not the father) I was invited to join them making a trip to the house and "Factory" of Mr. Shibahara.

Mr. Shibahara is a retired craftsman, around 60 years old, a very quiet and friendly person.

He welcomed us with good food he made by himself (Japanese grilled Eel on rice, delicious).

With the help of my japanese friends I asked some questions about the idea of making those robots and the practical way to do it.

Here I add some photos I was shooting at his workshop, a very small garage (and thats what it is) full of tools and things. In the picture you can see his newest creations, a series of three scirted robots.

One was alreay finished and painted in some kind of ocker/dark yellow colour including a small airplane in the opening chest.

The second one was half ready with working gears and a piston in the visible chest, using a second engine and set of batteries. The head was not made, he was still thinking about it.

It was amazing to see how he is building these robots just out of plain metal sheets with just some ordinary tools which everybody can get. There are no big machines involved, just craftsmanship, creativity and ... lots of time.

He told us that he has worked around plus minus 3 months on the first of these three new robots, while making the others in parallel. Amazing.

He has started around 5 years ago making his first robot in a followed series of around 30 pieces all together up to now.

He was first inspired by the robot creation of another japanese artist, whose one of a kind robots were pictured in a magazine and later displayed in an exhibition of Mr. Kitahara in Yokohama ( I have seen those other robots in person some years ago, just fantastic).

I try to find that article or pictures from those robots which are similar in general to the robots of Mr. Shibahara (maybe posted here on Alphadrome).

Here are the first pictures, more background informations to come.

Thank you gernot , this is very informative .

In fact I'd like to paste this on ny newsletter that hasn't been updated in

6 or so years

Yes thats fantastic stuff all right, a real craftsman.

Love that robot with the aircraft launch ramp in his chest. Imagine that radio controled.

• 7 years later...

I have enjoyed reading this forum so it was time to add other photos here and to bring this forum back up for all to see once more. :biggrin:

post-856-0-83676300-1407861063_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-78203500-1407861074_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-24225100-1407861082_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-38493300-1407861092_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-29259000-1407861101_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-41756900-1407861110_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-48220900-1407861151_thumb.jpg

post-856-0-26725400-1407861162_thumb.jpg

Archived