The Artbot Factory Of Mr. Shibahara

gernot

To follow the other topics about the Artbot Exhibition and the purchase of those nice samples by fellow alphadomers, here are some pictures from the place of origin of these wonderful robots.

First here are the Links to the other topics including these Robots from Mr. Shibahara:

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.php?showtopic=5948

http://danefield.com/alpha/forums/index.php?showtopic=5766

"THE SHIBAKIN FACTORY"

Together with my long time japanese friend Nobuo Kumagai, the founder and owner of the famous OTTI (Osaka TIn Toy Institute) and together with the son of former robot collector Mr. Morita, dealer and owner of a toy shop in Tokyo (the son, not the father) I was invited to join them making a trip to the house and "Factory" of Mr. Shibahara.

Mr. Shibahara is a retired craftsman, around 60 years old, a very quiet and friendly person.

He welcomed us with good food he made by himself (Japanese grilled Eel on rice, delicious).

With the help of my japanese friends I asked some questions about the idea of making those robots and the practical way to do it.

Here I add some photos I was shooting at his workshop, a very small garage (and thats what it is) full of tools and things. In the picture you can see his newest creations, a series of three scirted robots.

One was alreay finished and painted in some kind of ocker/dark yellow colour including a small airplane in the opening chest.

The second one was half ready with working gears and a piston in the visible chest, using a second engine and set of batteries. The head was not made, he was still thinking about it.

It was amazing to see how he is building these robots just out of plain metal sheets with just some ordinary tools which everybody can get. There are no big machines involved, just craftsmanship, creativity and ... lots of time.

He told us that he has worked around plus minus 3 months on the first of these three new robots, while making the others in parallel. Amazing.

He has started around 5 years ago making his first robot in a followed series of around 30 pieces all together up to now.

He was first inspired by the robot creation of another japanese artist, whose one of a kind robots were pictured in a magazine and later displayed in an exhibition of Mr. Kitahara in Yokohama ( I have seen those other robots in person some years ago, just fantastic).

I try to find that article or pictures from those robots which are similar in general to the robots of Mr. Shibahara (maybe posted here on Alphadrome).

Here are the first pictures, more background informations to come.

post-25-1180544114.jpg

post-25-1180544122.jpg

post-25-1180544133.jpg

post-25-1180544144.jpg

post-25-1180544155.jpg

post-25-1180544164.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.K. here we go.

First the idea and drawing is created. He writes down all the ideas including drawings of the design on paper. Here are some shots of his drawings, you will recognize some of his first robots.

He is cutting all the metal sheets mainly with a very fine saw. The "rivet" look is simply punched into the metal by hand with a tool. The several sheets are mounted together in the same way as the original toys, with tabs and holes. Every hole and circle and tab is cuttet or sawed with simple tools. It was incredible to see him sawing a perfect round hole into a plain metal sheet.

To some robots he is adding some features, little gadgets in the chest or back (look at Steves "Telephone Robot"), some even run on batteries, but the majority just stands still like a sculpture. All are unique. Now one might understand that it will never happen that one of these robots will make it into a series or production. This is another world of making, not to be compared with the machines I have seen at the metal house factory.

Within 5 years he made around 30 pieces including those huge robot houses and zeppelins.

The friendly relationship between Mr. Shibahara and Osaka Ton Toy Institute lead to the special exhibition where al his creations up to now have been presented the first time in public with the chance to buy them at the end.

I could hardly understand putting so much time, work and creativity in those robots and then let them all go at once !

Now they are spread around the world in famous robot collections, some might even are staying in Japan.

In this way his fantastic art and creations now belong to the world, the world of robot collectors, even so few have been made. Just to see them on pictures or now in collections make them very very special !

He seemed to be very happy to hear the stories about his robots now standing in other collections around the world and how they have been admired here on the board.

I showed him some pictures of my collection and while he liked the picture of the Strenco Robot so much I promised him to ggive him on of Volkers golden Strencos as a present in exchange for his invitation.

He is not really collecting robots himself, he has a few but also other many items he enjoys such as japanese advertisment pieces.

But he has the most fun and fulfillness while creating and making such a robot, after that he can let it go for others to enjoy.

Not so bad after all, I guess.

post-25-1180545514.jpg

post-25-1180545525.jpg

post-25-1180545536.jpg

post-25-1180545562.jpg

post-25-1180545570.jpg

post-25-1180545577.jpg

post-25-1180545633.jpg

post-25-1180545641.jpg

post-25-1180545659.jpg

post-25-1180545666.jpg

post-25-1180545674.jpg

post-25-1180545688.jpg

post-25-1180546195.jpg

Just fantastic Gernot -thank you so very kindly for a closer look into this artists shop. Everything is such a throwback to a much different time than our own. His craftsmanship is meticulous - those hand punched rivets are perfect. No wonder it can take three months to make a single piece. I really liked looking at his "design" book. Aside from the actual material production of these wonderful robots - the creativity and feel for the "look" that makes these guys so special is a tribute to this man. Looking forward to seeing more of his creations.

Wow. What an incredible post! It is not unlike reading a fascinating article in a favorite magazine...complete with pictures to illustrate it! Thank you for a very special look at this terrifically talented artist - Mr. Shibahara and his robots are truly an inspiration.

Dear Gernot

thank you for this great moment - Mr. Shibahara has a verry special taste ;) so we can see two Artists - the creation has a mixed design of Art Deco and Bauhaus in a beautiful oldfashion way.

and also the handworker is an artist to bring the ideas to a form and to "live" - verry impressend .

thank you again

volker

btw. so I noticed in the first pictures some flowerpots or bonsaipots - do Mr. Shibahara collected bonsai trees too ?

Gernot,,,,,,,Thanks for this fantastic post,,,,,,,,,What a privalige to see an Artist at work......... And the Blueprints aswell!Priceless :)

Another amazing and wonderful virtual adventure to go on thanks to my good friend Gernot! Thanks so much! These photos are fantastic!

Fantastic post gernot, great to see the amazing work in progress! The original artwork must also be a bonus to the people that purchased the robots. Well done.

Alvays, dese Germans Know where the mechanical machines are being made, you ever vonder vhy?

The German peoples have always been excellent machine builders and have oil running thru them! Dis is vhy!!!

Excellent post Gernot, I would not have expected anything less than a full report! Now vhen you are done out there with your asian honey's you vill return to vork!!!

Excellent....Most Excellent......Thanks for the great insights!

Keep us posted!

MMM

Sheeeshh...no words! Thanks so much for sharing with us your visit Gernot, our man in Japan!

Mr. Shibahara's is an incredible artist and craftsman...Just the blueprints are amazing!

This is definitely a thread for the archives. This contribution is an example of Alphadrome at it's very best, thank you Gernot.

I had the pleasure of holding one of Mr. Shibahara's creations in my hands recently and I was blown away by the solid "production" quality of his work (not to mention the imaginative design). To see the simple tools that he uses makes it even more incredible.

Archived