Mexican R-1 Robot Conversion , Build Pictures.

robothut

I had a request for a R-1 robot conversion to a mexican type robot so here are the build pictures. It was suggest that the main color be RED with blue and yellow details. First I had to make the new parts, top of the head, head, Ears,Arms, Rear Tanks and chest pannel. I made the chest pannel out of plastic , the rest are cast in resin. I left a small triangle place below the chest display for the original Mexican robot artwork decal. As you can see I had to make a new shoulder area from metal and filler so that the arms will fit on propperly. I am building this project right now so I will add more pictures as I move along. The chest pannel has a large triangle cut out that I plan to fill with a animated MOIRE pattern unit that I made from a robosapien gear box and artwork I made and printed on my computer in both trasparent and white backed stock.Here is a video link to see the MOIRE artwork in action.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/MoireUnit.wmv

post-7-1180014419.jpg

post-7-1180014448.jpg

post-7-1180014474.jpg

post-7-1180014507.jpg

post-7-1180014598.jpg

This is looking fantastic! This is just the kind of project that I find to be an inspiration. I've been eyeing the R-1 for some time myself thinking of what the conversion possibilities are. In fact, I was originally going to use that Machine Man head - the one I just put on my Plasmatron Robot - and I was going to put that on a R-1 body instead to make a psuedo - Gand of Five Robot.

What a perfect combination of styles this one will turn out to be! The Moire pattern in motion is a stroke of genius - a great effect using classic, old-school, mechanical means to creat it...

You got to tuffen up Phil R. I mean if Spock from the origional TV show could stare at his MOIRE view screen for hours on end and not fall asleep, show after show, year after year. :blush:

John Very cool to see this robot is progress. Are the arms and head you are using castings from an original or are they your own design?

Today I got the parts sanded , primered and painted. The antenna on the head top is a spring.

post-7-1180049929.jpg

post-7-1180049952.jpg

post-7-1180049982.jpg

post-7-1180049998.jpg

post-7-1180050022.jpg

I like this one,,,,,,,,,,no I like them all. Robosapian , I have been buying them up cheap. They finally reached their pinnacle as a great bottomless pit of parts for future droids. John,where do you get your unlimited supply of donors ?

:P John, I love your robots!!! Superb! I built several of these Mex style robots to fit on the smoker chassisafter you did yours back then, and i made the tin arms and head top and head from the domed bottoms of spray cans, but it was sure very hard work! I hand rolled the arms from tin and made origami styled hands as per the originals. I cut out the mouth and face area with a dremel roto tool and fitted the tin dome on top with a slip fit. The tanks from larger sized magic marker cylinders. My weak points were my jobs on the neck work. -Larry7

larry seven feel free to post pictures of your mexican/smoker conversions , I think we would all enjoy seeing them. I know I love to see other guys robot conversions!

Eagle I have a room with about 200 duplicate/spair and junker robots to draw from. Plus recently Robot Hunter has sent me a few boxes of robots that he has weeded from his collection and I have been using them as well. When you have been collecting for over 27 years you end up with a room full of extra robots. I used to try and sell off the extra bots but I am no good as a sales person so gave that up. Yes robosapiens have become the new parts doner for many projects as they are dirt cheep.

:) John, I lost all of my pictures on a crashed hard drive some time back, but here are a couple from RJ's auction. Head top and arm domes are the bottoms of tin spray cans. You can see my neck is the upper part of a spray can, the part where the nozzle is. I sepaprated the part that had the spray nozzle from the sides of the can and then inverted it for a neck. The head is a round section of the spray can with the face cut in. I turned the neck part it upside down to fit inside and under the head and tried to shape it to mate with the body and then tabbed it in, but it is not as cool as the original Mexican robot's neck. My body was just quickly tabbed together so that we could try different arm link combinations and other actions for the smoker chassis. I wired the robot so that he walked and had lighted face, and then it stops and the ears flash simply using the already in place flashing mechanical setup from the smoker. -Larry7

post-204-1180111329.jpg

post-204-1180111342.jpg

OK here are the main parts assembled. right now I am installing the MOIRE animation assembly, so I might have it done by tomarrow.

post-7-1180112286.jpg

post-7-1180112307.jpg

:) John, I lost all of my pictures on a crashed hard drive some time back, but here are a couple from RJ's auction. Head top and arm domes are the bottoms of tin spray cans. You can see my neck is the upper part of a spray can, the part where the nozzle is. I sepaprated the part that had the spray nozzle from the sides of the can and then inverted it for a neck. The head is a round section of the spray can with the face cut in. I turned the neck part it upside down to fit inside and under the head and tried to shape it to mate with the body and then tabbed it in, but it is not as cool as the original Mexican robot's neck. My body was just quickly tabbed together so that we could try different arm link combinations and other actions for the smoker chassis. I wired the robot so that he walked and had lighted face, and then it stops and the ears flash simply using the already in place flashing mechanical setup from the smoker. -Larry7

Larry, that's a great looking robot! Before Bostock I didn't know your were a fabricator/builder. Nice work! My Alpha-1 Bostock robot (Mike Van won it) has a body made from a spray can.

Archived