Polish: Scratched, Scuffed Clear Plastic

Zesko

I'm looking at one of my favorite tin/plastic buddies, who has suffered some rather severe scuffing to his clear plastic bits... I know we have discussed similar subjects in here before, but have we ever formed a consensus of how to deal with scratched/scuffed clear plastic? It occurred to me to try a series of polishing agents... Such as coarse baking soda toothpaste, followed by regular toothpaste, followed by a fine tooth polishing paste. I've also considered experimenting with a petroleum-based solvent (but I haven't tried any of this yet)... Is it possible, I wonder, to ever restore scuffed clear plastic to near-full-transparency?

Zrsko - I don't know about the home-made receipes for polishing, but there are several really good commercial cream compunds made specifically for polishing clear plastic & lucite that you can get at a good plastics supply store. I got turned on to this stuff years ago by a friend who was a serious collector of vintage Rolex watches and everything before the 1980's had plastic crystals. He was an active sportsman and was always scratching up his expensive watches. But instead of going to a jeweler and paying to have them polished, he would whip out a little bottle of some cream polish and a soft rag and in a couple of seconds would make the crystal look brand new. I decided if it was afe to use on a vintage Rolex, how much harm could it do to a Robby dome? The stuff works great. Lots of different brands, but they're all pretty much the same. Just make sure you get it from a plastic supply company since they stock the right stuff.

Guest neatstuff

Here's my 2 cents worth.

If the plastic has deep scratches, polishing alone won't remove the scratches. Try to locate a lapidary/stone cutter who is familiar with cutting and polishing Amber. Natural amber has very similar properties to plastic. A stone cutter would have the proper tools and polishing compounds to do a flawless job!

• 1 month later...

I have restored lots of clear plastic with very deep scratches... it's a matter of steps... if it has very deep scratches you must start with sandpaper...yes I said sandpaper! Start with 200 to 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper (use it wet). Sand until you cannot feel the scratches with your fingernail anymore, and get it smooth, then go to a finer grit paper. As you go to finer and finer sand paper, the plastic will get smoother and clearer.

Once most of the fuzziness is gone, go to emory paper. When it's only a little fuzzy/milky, get yourself Turtle Wax "Polishing Compound" in a green tub. (Available in any auto parts store.. it's used to polish car finishes and plastic.) Use a damp cloth and polish like the devil... I do it while watching TV. Go in circles.

Finally if it's clear enough, the last product you use is "Meguire's Mirror Glaze Professional Clear Plastic Polish", (again, rub like the devil in cicles), do a final wipe with a clean, dry soft cloth (I use old worn T-shirts with no printing on it) to get any missed glaze, and you're done.

If you can't get it clear enough with the Turtle Wax polishing compound, use Turtle Wax "Clear Coat" polishing compound in the white tub, then the Meguires. The clear coat is slightly finer than the regular polishing compound, and leaves a very shiny finish as it has wax in it the green tub doesn't.

I would practice on something first, but if you are patient, and take your time, you can get great results!

I polish marble and granite for a living, but can't say I've ever polished plastic. The one hint I can give is that when going from grit to grit, you don't want step up more than twice the grit at a time. In other words, go from 200 to 400 to 800 etc. When you polish with sand paper you are taking out large scratches with small ones and you're not likely to get 200 grit scratches out with 600 grit sand paper.

Fineas makes a good point... and a good rule to follow, precisely what I was getting at; step it up a little at a time.

By the way, Fineas J., do you do any lapidary work? I need a piece of Lapis Lazuli cut for a custom wristwatch dial?

Rocket-

I never have worked with stone on that small of a scale, my shop specializes in high-end custom kitchen and bathroom remodels. Working with jewelry would require a whole different set of tools. Sounds like fun, though.

By the way, I have been enjoying your posts the last week or so and am looking forward to more - so where have you been hiding? :D

Thanks F.J.W.... I've been around for years, and have been watching and listening on the board, but not participating. Finally decided to jump into the fray on some of these issues. Seems like a really nice group of people with a wide variety of interests in addition to vintage robots!

It seems this forum has become more well rounded too... I remember many of the posts dealt more with reproductions than anything else. I like talking about the vintage stuff, the variations, and the stories about how the truly rare stuff surfaces.

Rocket

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the compliment, and coming from you, I'm honored. I was wondering how long it would take you to get wise to me!

Rocket

• Brian.. changed the title to Polish: Scratched, Scuffed Clear Plastic

Archived