Repairs:Fixing Dents And Bumps

Blechroboter

I bought this robot at ebay for 20,-€ and want to restore him.

All electric funktions were okay but he has about a dozen dents and the visor was missing.

post-544-1178219509.jpg

The restored robot. All dents are fixed. Take a look at chest and forehead

post-544-1178219528.jpg

All I used are these tools. I used a piece of pine wood (softwood) as a anvil. I think lime tree will be better because of its regular structure.

The wooden chisels are selfmade from hardwood (beech). The work needs roughly 80 minutes to fix a dozen dents. You can use wooden tools

because the tin-plates of the robot are very thin.

post-544-1178219560.jpg

You can read the whole post here:Scrap Robot

• 8 months later...

Nice job Blechroboter!

If I may I add to this thread...

In addition to the fine set of metal-working tools you showed, let me add "fingers and thumbs". Like you said, most of the metals used in these toys are very thin. I found that a lot of dents, especially bumps without creases, could be worked from the inside using my thumbs. I have made dent repairs on a number of Radicon buses and found that gentle massaging with the fingers can fix a number of bumps.

BTW, some dents can only be repaired properly by carefully taking the metal components apart. I use a long-handled surgical forceps for straightening the metal tabs and then work the pieces apart. It is a good idea to wear cotton gloves to preserve the paint finish.

• 2 weeks later...

You´re right Designprof! I use my "fingers and thumbs" too to fix soft dents if possible.

I also use a kind of surgical forceps (Elektroniker Zange) for the metal tabs.

You´re right Designprof! I use my "fingers and thumbs" too to fix soft dents if possible.

I also use a kind of surgical forceps (Elektroniker Zange) for the metal tabs.

Thanks Blechroboter! When dealing with the delicate parts of a vintage robot, metal or plastic, it helps to be extra careful. Over the years many of us have developed a set of tools that work well for the purpose and I find there is a consistency. I appreciated hearing the fact that we both work in the same manner. That's why I like this forum...

• Brian.. changed the title to Repairs:Fixing Dents And Bumps

Archived