Batteries... Am I Going Crazy?

Guest Scott Cragstan

Guest Scott Cragstan

Thanks Joe, Roto, and Steve! You guys all sure know how to make the new fella feel welcome!

Glad you got a kick out of the Chrysler Space Patrol, Pat. I can a bit carried away as I'm sure you've all already noticed, LOL. Maybe once I get this first one done (the prototype) we'll see if one we can convince one of the Chinese toy makers it's a good idea to go into production. Makes sense in a weird kind of way, the car is already somewhat of an international project as all the plastic parts were newly manufactured in (get this) Australia. :D

And no, Eagle, wasn't planning on going to Carlisle this weekend but I have been hearing that the Chryslers at Carlisle July event is a must-see so I am going to try and make that for sure. Thanks on the parts offer, I think I am (FINALLY!) in good shape on running everything down. Just a matter of waiting now... and waiting... and waiting... is it done yet? Sorry to hear about the dive-bomber tree, glad it missed everything!

That's so cool your family had a 1960 Chrysler, small world. My Dad until just recently was always, always, always, a Chevrolet man, the Chryslers came from my grandparents side of the family with 1957, 1963, 1966, 1971, and 1977 models around as I grew up, and the '57 and '63 cars had push-button transmissions. My last collector car that I just sold last October was a 1964 Chrysler which also had a push-button transmission, a beautiful like-new car which I sold to fund the 1960 project. I'm hoping the new '60 (aka Robby the Chrysler Space Patrol, LOL) will be as well behaved as the '64 was, I wasn't afraid to go anywhere in that car no matter how far and it never experienced a single mechanical malady. Crazy what's going on with Chrysler today, I think they are in the same boat as the other US manufacturers, truck heavy when that market went soft, it's just more acute for them due to their smaller size. The parent company panicking isn't helping either, if they don't chill out it's going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you ask me.

As to Jupiter Robots, Steve, the first time I saw a picture of that guy when I got back into collecting in the 90s I almost had an out-of-body experience it was so startling, LOL! Once the shock wore off from seeing Mr. Robot's head on Mr Mercury's body I thought it was a great looking robot though and the proportions work really well. And I certainly wouldn't mind seeing one of those on my shelf someday, how about you? I'm partial to that head design though of course. Of all the other new robots I've seen over the years that was the only one that sort of threw me like that, well except the inverse style as well, what's it called... the robot that looks like Mr. Mercury's head on top of Mr. Robot's body? Same reaction but I never really warmed up to that one as much. Haven't met one in person though, I'm sure he's a good robot too. :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey scott , welcome .... i love that you had robots as a kid...... most of us here did. cool to have pics ...

good luck

Guest Scott Cragstan

Thanks Bartzenegger! Yep I guess I was born right in the middle of what I like to refer to as The Golden Age of Robots, LOL. Sounds so official and lofty, doesn't it? Probably most everyone here was too. I had a great collection as a kid and I'm going to try and round up some more pictures. I think I have snapshots of nearly all of them.

I knew that Jupitar would have a 'natural' appeal to you Scott. I've handled about four or five of them. He is just not my cup of tea and for $35,000 boxed I'd rather have a Diamond Planet.

Hey Scott, what do you think of my custom Skirted Jupiter Robot done for me by John Rigg? I'm guessing you might like this guy! ;)

post-36-1176845480.jpg post-36-1176846308.jpg

Guest Scott Cragstan

GASP, Steve I had no idea. That's above Gang prices even, no? In a way that's good though, perhaps if there's a robot out there that ultra-rare he'll get reissued! And if he was reissued, you-know-who would too since they already had the head tooled up, right?

And Pat, you're psychic on that one buddy! How did you know I'd like that? LOL! He's GREAT. I hate to think that a Mr. Robot died somewhere in time but perhaps a head transplant was the only way he could live, yes, that had to be it. What got him? Rust? Battery leak? :huh:

It's a great look though, the Mr. Robot head can easily carry off the larger body. Like Mr. Robot sent off for a Charles Atlas dynamic tension device! Beautifully executed too, my compliments to John. I was admiring his talents on several of your other specials on your website. I always fantasized about doing a slightly more deluxe version of Mr. Robot someday. I want a really nice original of course and as much as I love his styling to my adult eye the graphics are a little, well, cheesy now and I'd like to see a slightly more sophisticated version, same body and color scheme, just detail out the chest differently... maybe some scaled down Robert Kinoshita-like touches. I'll have to whip up my ideas on Photoshop and see what you all think. I always thought Mr. Robot with an ultra-restrained body like Radicon's would be beyond cool as well.

Meanwhile, I can't resist another bit of Photoshop Tom Foolery. Pat, here's how your skirted Jupiter Robot became the robot he is today....

post-547-1176853198.jpg

Scott - in the Griffith auction he was the highest priced piece at about $46,000. Several private sales since then were in the range I mentioned. A few years ago a loose Jupiter sold for over $18,000 on ebay. Quite simply put his rarity has made him a staple for a "master" collection and the high rollers will pay up to have one in their collection. I have known several high end collections whereby he was one of the last "finishing" pieces to be obtained. Diamond Planet is another really tough piece and lately no new Machinemen have surfaced to my knowledge.

GASP, Steve I had no idea. That's above Gang prices even, no? In a way that's good though, perhaps if there's a robot out there that ultra-rare he'll get reissued! And if he was reissued, you-know-who would too since they already had the head tooled up, right?

And Pat, you're psychic on that one buddy! How did you know I'd like that? LOL! He's GREAT. I hate to think that a Mr. Robot died somewhere in time but perhaps a head transplant was the only way he could live, yes, that had to be it. What got him? Rust? Battery leak? :huh:

It's a great look though, the Mr. Robot head can easily carry off the larger body. Like Mr. Robot sent off for a Charles Atlas dynamic tension device! Beautifully executed too, my compliments to John. I was admiring his talents on several of your other specials on your website. I always fantasized about doing a slightly more deluxe version of Mr. Robot someday. I want a really nice original of course and as much as I love his styling to my adult eye the graphics are a little, well, cheesy now and I'd like to see a slightly more sophisticated version, same body and color scheme, just detail out the chest differently... maybe some scaled down Robert Kinoshita-like touches. I'll have to whip up my ideas on Photoshop and see what you all think. I always thought Mr. Robot with an ultra-restrained body like Radicon's would be beyond cool as well.

Meanwhile, I can't resist another bit of Photoshop Tom Foolery. Pat, here's how your skirted Jupiter Robot became the robot he is today....

Scott - I love it! You're a PhotoShop genius! Way cool ad! ;)

Guest Scott Cragstan

Wow Steve, those are some staggering numbers. It's really good to keep track of things like that as you're doing and really to even save those pictures of the super-rare items. I can't tell you how many times pictures have been swiped and rare cars have been listed on eBay and the only way anyone caught it was people who keep track remembered the photos when they reappeared. Scary stuff.

And thanks Pat, I enjoy playing around with Photoshop as everyone is quickly getting to see. And when I have an excuse to combine Photoshop and robots, well, watch the hours fly by! :D

Hi Scott, just realised I haven't welcomed you yet, so thought I would by showing you my Mr.Robot, one of my favourites as well. I got real lucky with this one, the seller was fairly new to robots and didn't put a very good description and photos on ebay. I took a risk, when it arrived I could hardly believe my eyes, virtually mint and fully working . :D Welcome

BTW, how did you get that animated Avatar ? its great.

post-214-1177056393.jpg

Guest Scott Cragstan

Thanks for the welcome Metal Robothead, everyone has been so nice here! And congrats, that is a gorgeous example of Mr. Robot, he shines just like new!

Thanks on the avatar, I made it myself by taking a static photo of Mr. R and divorcing him from the background and placing him on an outer space picture I enlarged and abstracted. I took that shot then and manipulated it 6 different ways to make each stage, off, eyes on, dome motions, etc, then sandwiched it all together to make the animated GIF.

I love to play with Photoshop! I hope you don't mind I couldn't resist bringing yours to life too. :D

post-547-1177120515.gif

I love to play with Photoshop! I hope you don't mind I couldn't resist bringing yours to life too.

Thanks Scott. I certainly don't mind, incredible job, and I hope you don't mind I have made a copy. Couldn't resist. :D

Guest Scott Cragstan

Why of course not, I'm glad you liked him. Not quite as good as actually turning him on but something fun to look at in the meantime, LOL!

Archived