Robot Mods And Scratchbuilts

robert

After seeing the wonderful radar robot created by robobob I was wondering how many of you collect these non-production pieces? I know that there are many on here who make them, but how many of us collect them as well? I admire anyone who has the courage to tackle this challenge and turn out what I view as a unique work of art, regardless of it's humble origins. Below is a peek at my meager but ever growing collection of GEMS.

Form the back left, two by Andyman; the Erotobot II with pulsing backlit OHM meter and Rocco. Next is the battery operated and lighted Gear Robot that John Rigg created for Botstock II, as well as his remote controlled Robby Space Trooper with LED under dome. And in the front we have three by Grandpa: his beautifully rendered, remote controlled Robby Space Sled, an unnamed robot based on a prototype found in a museum in Japan, and finally, my favorite Gramps piece - the Chief Hook(er), again remote controlled with green LEDs for eyes. I also have another homemade Robby piece purchased off of ebay, but I have to dig it out of storage to photograph, so I will post it later. So let's see some more!

post-4-1175299962.jpg

Robert, that's a great display, a combination I've never seen before. Very fresh and new to our old familiar fellas on our shelves, great direction with the gang! Such clean futuristic lines and easy on the eyes, wonderful work 'Grandpa'!!! And Robert for picking these for his great collection.

Nice to hear from you Ken - if I was a betting man I'd say that you have seen just a few of those before!!!!!

Steve,

I think I saw a few of them before in your collection :rolleyes:

sorry robert got behind!!! well these are the first of many pics i will be showing of different items i have found over the last year. this batman looks way better in person ( it really does look like adam west )

he does not have crossed eyes!!! darn camera!!!

the detail is great the belt is the coolest!!!

post-263-1175477966.jpg

im superman freak!!! so i really like this one... suppose to look like george reeves in 1957... doesnt so much but still way cool!!

btw..... about 2 years ago i tried to get a 1 of a kind superman robot from comet toys ( maybe you guys remember it?) well i never did.... :angry2:

anyway.......

the "s" logo is the correct superman logo from the fifties...it changed many times over the years

post-263-1175478361.jpg

Great thread idea Robert - this is the only piece that I have that might qualify. This is a model made by a guy named Tom Klem for an advertising campaign for a copier company. The ad featured five of these robots all in a row so this is one of five made. It stands about 12" high and is made of a heavy plastic resin of some kind. It does absolutely nothing but the "elbows" are a universal joint so it can be posed several ways. I couldn't resist it's classic yet fresh look.

post-143-1175483004.jpg

WOW Don, I never knew you ended up with that advertising robot...Congratulations !!!!

Well, my mods are just that....mostly my own creations.

First up are my R1 conversions. The shooting and TV bots are

among the first ones I ever did, after seeing the ones on the

Robothut site, way back when. Also pictured is a Radicon R-1, and

my blue bump-n-go Robert conversion.

post-130-1175484428.jpg

Next, a Thunder I painted black and added flashing Leds in the

eyes to, and the two John Rigg custom Botstock robots, the T-28

and the High-Wheel...two of my most prized conversions !

post-130-1175484759.jpg

Archived