Space Cars

dratomic

Having been a bit broke lately, I've been concentrating on snagging some of the (relatively) inexpensive plastic space cars that have been produced by various companies over the years. Now that I've finaly got a battery for my digital camera, I figured I'd post some pics. I don't have many pieces yet, but it's a nice side hobby. (I've also got a few new pieces of vintage, published science fiction art -- but they'll wait until later.)

First are four cars by Gilmark. This line of toys is definitely my favorite, with about six or seven different vehicles, all of which came in various color combinations. The yellow one is pretty neat -- its top flips back like a convertible.

post-124-1174363537.jpg

post-124-1174363598.jpg

These two cars are made by Marx. I'm not a huge automobile buff, but I love the subtle, futuristic look to these pieces. Plus, you can't go wrong with silver and copper colored plastic! (Trust me, it's metallic copper, not brown... the camera didn't do a great job of capturing the toy's luster...)

post-124-1174363703.jpg

Great stuff Doc, I have always wanted to put a collection of these cool space cars together - particularily after looking at all the neat examples in Blast Off. These designs are what vintage space is all about.

great cars! especially the marx ones.

i used to collect diecast dinkys and tootsies etc,

the thing what is very atrackting about some older '30s cars is that they look very space

and even existed in the real world (like the speedrecord cars with weird tales and fenders)

looking forward to see your growing space car collection!

Great toys.High styled and alot of bang for the buck.Nice collection!Cast these babies in aluminum and you have the new Co. you wanted Doc.:)

Nice pick-ups!! I have always enjoyed these toys and am so very tempted to start my own collection with them. They smack of sci-fi!!!! I especially love the Pyro models. I believe that several of these early models produced by various makers served as a template for a number of Japanese spaceships and toys including the super cycle and the oversized X-300. Brian your bottom right blue Gilmark looks very similiar to the tough to find Rocket Space Ship.

dsc02054no3.jpg

Steve: Good point about the plastic pieces being models!

Tinman93: The Gilmark cars are about four inches long, from tip to tailpipe. The Marx cars are about five, and the little red pyro car is about 3.5.

I'm usually not a big fan of plastic, but those Gilmark cars are FANTASTIC!

When I was a kid, those would definitely have been among my favorite posessions.

Great additions, Dr.A!

Ok, lets see a show of hands. How many of you have gone to ebay and conducted a search for "Gilmark"? I for one never knew they existed.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I was watching it -- too rich for my blood right now. A good price, though, generally speaking. There is one broken piece, I think -- the fin is missing from the top of one car (you can see where the posts went), but still... given the condition of the other pieces, someone got some good toys at a good price.

Archived