My Raygun Collection

Phil R

After months of removing a mishmash of wall cabinets, odd shelves and an antique counter unit I've installed 2 Ikea double door units housing my rayguns and Mr. Peanut collection, twin units. They're in my workroom in the basement where I can look at them in uniformity and plenty of room now to do my work.

I've spread out the rayguns, a far removal from cramped space and storage as I've been doing. It's not a high end collection totally but improving. I added the saturn light for effect and will add a Red Planet rug (Saturn in red diecut) when I get a chance.

I decided to use rockets and spacemen for effect. The many raygun gumball trinkets and puzzles kind of extend the collection as well as the Buck Rogers paper guns. I also have the full Sylvania Buck Rogers paper set which includes a raygun and the Flash Gordon paper gun as well as numerous Buck Rogers ads with rayguns. :D

post-221-1171985983.jpg

post-221-1171986003.jpg

post-221-1171986063.jpg

post-221-1171986117.jpg

post-221-1171986147.jpg

post-221-1171986197.jpg

Phil R,,nice collection,,,You've got enough weapons there to take on any space invaders any where in the Galaxy! :rolleyes: What's the story with the robot pushing baby robot in the pram?Sparkrobot.

Okay... Space Disco Ball -- completely dorky... BUT COMPLETELY AWESOME! :) I love it! Gives me a few ideas... (I'm going to blame it on you when my girlfriend tries to kill me...)

Your collection looks superb. It's clean and classy, but with just enough of a "busy" quality to give it energy and life. I really like how you arranged everything on the shelves; staggering the toys' heights works to great affect.

Have I mentioned that your Buck collection makes me wimper, and the mintyness of your Liquid Helium and Flash Gordon Signal gun make me weep outright? And don't even get me started on the box for your Flash Gordon water pistol... "Not high end..." Gimme a break! ;)

Fantastic collection, Phil. Thanks for posting pics!

Hey, how about some shots of the Mr. Peanut collection? I know it's off topic, but what the heck? It's something different, and that's always fun.

Joe, I plan on bringing Buck Rogers items for probably two shelves.

Spark R That's kind of a deceiving angle for the robots. they're just built up Erector parts. Actually, I have a file on Meccano robots. Joe K has some great erector robots in his museum. Come on over for Botstock!

Andyman- The Saturn light is available from Ikea for about $30. I think it's also available elsewhere. there's also an inexpensive table light reproduced like the 50s light. I have a large file on Saturn lights of all kinds from the 30s to present. The Saturn lamp is also about $30.00.

post-221-1171995356.jpg

post-221-1171995382.jpg

Phil R,,I'de love to go to Bot stock,,,Not this time though it's Just a bit far for me to travel at the moment,,,,I come from London,,,but hey ,,Never say never!!......I really love the constructor stuff ,I dont think It's for me though ,I've got an addictive/obssesive nature,and I dont even want to think where that stuff would lead me! My wife's tolerant enough now ,most of my robots and sci-fi stuff are housed in my living room [take a look at my collection on the collections page one day],but Meccano and constructor set's I think would push her over the edge. :blink:

Spark R, I've seen your collection. I don't miss much ,although I don't always comment. Your collection is well displayed and very clean in placement. Love the big poster, probably used in a theater. I'm an original trekkie, watched the show the first time around in the 60s before going out carousing. Metropolis is one of my all time favorites. Very nice collection. :D

By the way, I caught the Popeye Brutus/Bluto head. What's with that? My wife collected Popeye stuff for years. She has a nice little collection. Her favorite is the Jeep character.

Phil R,,,,,,,As Dratomic said when he asked to see your Mr Peanut collection, we are about to go off topic,but seeing you mentioned the Brutus/Bluto charecter I thought I'de explain,,,,,My wife used to collect all sorts of teapots,,there is a British company called Cardew that ran a series of Popeye charecters as teapots,,there's pictures here of all three,We are both 'collectermaniacs' so theres allso a picture of a Popeye salt and pepper plus an old 60's/early 70s mug..I thought I should end up on a robot theme, so there is a photo of a picture I made up from a couple of comics with robot covers,,[i've got quite a few Metal men comics with robot covers] ,but Ihavn't got around to framing them yet. P.S what about showing us this Mr. Peanut collection, I really like the sound of it.Sparkrobot.

post-540-1172012772.jpg

post-540-1172012804.jpg

post-540-1172012908.jpg

post-540-1172012959.jpg

Great collection and display Phil. Mr. Peanut must be fun to collect because it seems I can't go to a flea market without finding the stuff...still plenty out there to be had.

Phil, you've just about got me bidding on the gun stuff now...Sheesh! As if I don't have enough filling the basement now. :blink:

Always love your variety of collections, keeps it all interesting. I'm just about to get back to the monster kits again. Soon!

And, I don't see nuthin' that's not 'high-end' in there! Anything we have an interest in is in that catagory. Some 'HIGH END' 'bots I see wouldn't raise my interest if they were low-priced, (maybe that's why they are rare, not many wanted 'em).

You have to love what you collect just like we all do here in whatever direction it takes us this day, or this week. It's all great.

Wow Phil you really have done a spectacular job with the display! I'll echo what doc said about staggering heights and use of space - it really has a great overall impact and shows off the "pairs and sets" very well. The Liquid Helium makes me drool as well but if I were to pick a favorite piece from your collection it would be the Marx Flash Gordon squirt gun BOX. I don't believe I've seen more than one or two examples of that box - I just love it!!! (a close up maybe?) Thanks very much for the pics.

Now it's my turn, I really have to put together a better ray gun display.....

Yeah, Don. Get with the program!

Phil, would it be possible to get some better pics of that box? It's really one of the cleanest I've ever seen! I'd love to see some other views if you've got 'em. If not, no worries...

So do you have a favorite piece? (I know, it's always hard to choose... but sometimes a piece just SPEAKS to you...)

Phil R. - Beautiful collection! I love those white units and the way they make the toys stand out so much! When I first sqw the good Doctor's collection on white shelves I was so impressed and now again with your toys. It makes me think about going all white for my robots. It just looks awesome. So what's your Holy Grail wish list ray gun at this point?

Actually, I wasn't aware that the Flash Gordon box was such a big deal. Maybe I should move it to the vault! :rolleyes:

My favorite gun is the Buck Rogers water gun. I've had three of those. This one is the best. I should have kept my extras for trade.

I recently saw the Atom Buster up close and loved it. That would be my next choice for purchase. :P

By the way, if more members are interested in the Mr. Peanut collection I'll post it. I just don't want to be hung in effigy for straying. :ph34r:

post-221-1172064628.jpg

post-221-1172064678.jpg

post-221-1172064716.jpg

post-221-1172065613.jpg

Archived