1952 - Atom Buster by Marx

Joe K.

See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wards-1952-Christmas-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

The cover:

http://image.i-soldit.com/images/0108/1010...08440_01_01.jpg

The specific page:

http://image.i-soldit.com/images/0108/1010...08440_06_06.jpg

Look all the way on the right hand side to find the Atom Buster.

This same page is reproduced in More Boys' Toys of the Fifties & Sixties, edited by Thomas W. Holland. (Don, do you have this book? If not, I'll send you a copy and maybe you could post it later on.)

The catalog page is entitled: Tom Corbett Space Academy..."Space" Toys and depicts Tom Corbett's Space Academy (playset by Marx), the Jet Zoomerang Gun (aka Jet Zoom Gun by Tigrett Enterprises), the Tom Corbett Space Signal Flashlite (aka Space Patrol Atomic Pistol Flashlite by Marx), the "Atom Buster" Sparkling Automatic Pistol, Rocket Ship (aka the Rocket Fighter "5" by Marx), the Flash Gordon Goggles, Belt and Compass Set, a Boy's Space Suit (and beanie hat marked "Space Pilot) and Official "Tom Corbett" Space Cadet Wrist Watch.

The description for the Atom Buster Sparkling Automatic Pistol states it's "a powerful looking little weapon but it shoots perfectly harmless sparks when you wind it up and pull the trigger. Handle decorated with bright red and yellow Atom Buster decal. 85 cents."

I've been unable to find this gun in ZAP! or Ray Gun or Blast Off! or on www.raygun.com.

Does anyone have it and can provide it's maker?

Finally, the sighting in this 1952 catalog of the Jet Zoom Gun move the Timeline date back one year.

Thanks for adding Ray Guns to your postings, Joe -- this has been an invaluable service to us collectors!

As for the Atom Buster... I know of another gun called an Atom Buster, but it's a completely different toy. This one seems to use a similar mechanism as the Marx Rex Mars sparking gun, though the two look very different. Interesting -- I've never seen this one before.

Joe - the Atom Buster image is off of Mark Bergin's old website, I knew there was a pic that I would see somewhere from time to time...

As stated by dratomic "This one seems to use a similar mechanism as the Marx Rex Mars sparking gun, though the two look very different". He was referring to the wind up mechanism (it just occurred to me that you probably understand this and are asking about a possible third instance - oh well, I'll proceed anyway). I will jump in here however and show off my Rex Mars Sparkling Ray Gun in the very rare color of blue (we only know of two so far...). As far as I know the Atom Buster and the Rex Mars Sparkler are the only two space guns that use this mechanism.

• 12 years later...

Archived