My First Ray Gun

Andyman

Unfortunately, the monsters from venus carry ray guns that are powered by Plutonium, so you're gonna have to do a little bit better than that, Andy.

;)

Hah, just as I suspected! The Venetians are importing arms from Pluto! I'll have the UP (United Planets) on their case so fast it'll make their two heads spin! And I'm sure the Plutonians are robbing the Venetians blind. ;)

... The Venetians are importing arms from Pluto! ...And I'm sure the Plutonians are robbing the Venetians blind. ;)

Ow. Owowowowowowowow!

No more, I beg you...

Andyman,,,,,,I know I'm a bit behind replying to this thread,,,,,but when I saw that raygun I knew I just couldn't ignore it and I had to praise you up even more ,,,Considering rayguns have been around atleast since the 50's and probably appeared a lot earlier than that [anyone know the history of ray guns?] You have in my eyes just produced a classic!!and thats a first attempt,,have you peeked too soon??we will have to wait and see,,,Anyway I wont praise you anymore it's starting to sound 'sickly' .......Keep up the great work!!!!Sparkrobot............

• 2 weeks later...

Andyman, I heard your ray gun referred to in the "Alphadrome code of conduct" thread, and being the ray gun monger I am, I had to check it out.. JEEZ! That just ROCKS! Often times with "found object" art, it's quite easy to identify the objects used, but with your gun I couldn't identify a single thing, (until, of course you pointed them out)... I could only focus on the whole... truly the mark of a GREAT design! Just a damn good job there! Major congratulations... I absolutley love it!

Rocket -[O_O]-

Sparkrobot... Actually, the first toy ray gun (that we're aware of) was the Buck Rogers XZ-31 Rocket Pistol, which came out in 1934 (made by Daisy). This was followed by the XZ-35 "Wilma" gun, and then the XZ-38 Disintegrator. Daisy released the XZ44 Liquid Helium water pistol in the late Thirties, and the U-238 in the late 40s. Meanwhile, Marx released the Flash Gordon Signal ray in 1938. By the 40s, a number of companies were releasing pressed-steel and die-cast space guns, and towards the end of the decade, plastic began making itself known. The rest, as they say, is history.

To learn more, check out Rocket's excellent web site, toyraygun.com. It's got a pretty complete history broken up by decade and country. Definitely the first source for ray gun info on the web. You can also read the appropriately titled Ray Gun, by Eugene Metcalf. He actually started the Toy Ray Gun web site -- the book's got much of the information, and better (though MUCH fewer) photos.

There's also Zap!, by Leslie Singer -- the first book on ray guns... due to its age, there's some missing info and stuff, but generally, a decent source of pics and background.

Blast Off, by Mark S. Young (et al) has chapters on Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Dan Dare, and science fiction TV (Space Patrol, Tom Corbett, etc), and has some information on the various toys and premiums, including -- you guessed it -- space guns.

And, if I might indulge in a bit of self-promotion (heh heh), the most recent issue of the magazine Atomic Ranch has an article I did on collecting space toys -- sort of an introduction for beginners -- that features a section on ray guns.

Of course, ray guns were around way before 1934, appearing in old science fiction pulps. (The first pulp specifically dedicated to science fiction was Amazing Stories, which first published in April, 1926 -- and the first Buck Rogers story was published in that mag in 1928. I'm not sure about the absolute first reference to a ray gun or space gun... Let's not forget, Wells and Verne were writing sf in the late 1800s and early 1900s. And sf -- depending on who you ask -- goes all the way back to Frankenstein -- so lots of time for some sort of beam-based weapon to make an appearance.

Anyway, that's all just a very rough answer to your ray gun question, Sparkrobot. You can get more by digging through the toyraygun web site.

Hope this helps.

dratomic,,,,,,,,Thanks for that very imformative answer!,,,The thing is as much as I love rayguns ,my collecting of them has ended as quick a it started,,,the main reason is I find them tricky to display,,I know the white background thing works great ,but I havn't got enough cabinet space due to my ever growing robot collection,,and I would like to take a whole wall up with rayguns ,but asI said somewhere before ,I've got a very understanding wife ,who let's me take the whole of our living room/lounge up with sci-fi stuff ,but a wall full of rayguns,,I dont think so,,I just visualised her running screaming towards the front door holding her head,never to be seen again!! no I cant do that to her :D Oh well,back to robots..Sparkrobot.

Guest kenalexruss

I personally love ray guns. I think they enhance any robot collection. I also am partial to spaceships and rockets. They too are in the same realm as robots and ray guns. The three just go well together, regardless of how many or few of each one has. A few choice space vehicles and ray guns give definition to the robots. Space is the all important issue though, er, space as in room, not outer space. However, nothing can be more determining of a good collection than one's spouse! Over 90% of my collection now lives in my basement. a storage facility and a safe deposit vault thanks to the tasteful yet demanding advice of my wife! YIKES! It still doesn't stop me one bit though.

The nice thing about ray guns is that they can be inexpensive to collect. MANY wonderful guns cost under $50.

The not-so-nice thing about ray guns is that they're a pain in the butt to display well.

Still, a few well-placed pieces can add some bold colors and shapes to other space toy collections. I (obviously) love 'em!

andy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoa!!!! wonderful!!! my wife walked by and took notice. i explained what it was .....

she and myself are blown away.

congrates

Archived