Chief Robotmans Ears

martijn

in the past there was a topic (can't find it anymore) of a chief robotman restoration.

i don't think this was discussed:

how does the spinning/turning of the ear antennas work?

i have made my chief turning his head again, click again, but can't figure out the ears,

is the long vertical axle from motor to inside the head supposed to be turning?

it doesn't so is it maybe a slipping/ non working gear at the bottom or should i open the head?

i suppose the antennas don't "circle" but go forth and back as the head turns from side to side?

does anyone have pictures of inside the head?

thanks!

Hello Martijn, - I hope this might help...

is the long vertical axle from motor to inside the head supposed to be turning?

YES! ... I hope you could guess how the mechanism works - its a bit like the CARDAN SHAFT / DIFFERENZIAL works in your car... :)

post-11-1169168340.jpg

post-11-1169168356.jpg

There are two shafts that run up to the head , one that truns the head and one that spinns the antenna around. The anenna work in the same basic function as Robby scanners and RADICON robot scanners. There are alos to noise makers in the robot, the clicker is when the robot is in bump and go mode and the cyclic sqawking sound is when the robots head and ear scanners are in action. This sqwaker device is also the electrical contact for the light on top the head. I think you flext drive shaft is missing or not hooked up.

thanks for the reply's!

hello dirk, the 'cardan' wich is missing in your first picture, is not turning,

when i now look at it that is due to a gear at the bottom that won't touch the other littler gear at all that should make this cardan turn, it is too far out of position (weird, it is not due to aging or slipping, it's just not in place put there/ or too short)

do you have close up pictures of the inside bottom?

i now have the robot in my hand so i try to describe as good as possible

(sorry for the broken english)

the problem concerns the middle shaft/vertical axle

just above the click making box there is on the right the wheel with the pin attached wich makes the head turn left/right

this wheel DOESN'T touch the middle shaft/vert. axle (is this the problem?)

so therefor the lowest gear at the vert. axle is functionless and is fitted too high for the wheel with the pin to touch,

the wheel on the vert.axle above, with the parts took out to touch the lightcontact on the cardboardboxis only turning a little bit,

only in the opening,

should this cardboardbox produce sound also?

(it does krrrrr krrrrrr when i circle the axle but it take too much pressure, i don't think batteries have enough power)

should the middle axle circle or turn left/right/left/right as the plate does wich is moved by the wheel with pin?

The head turn function and the center shaft for the ear spinning do not operate all the time, the gear box moves a shifter that makes the head turn and center shaft run only at certain times controled by a cam with multiple fingers on it. The center shaft to the head rotated round and round it does not go back and forth like the head drive shaft. The gear that contacts the wiper on the card board box that will make the KRRRR KRRR sound is also the controler for the light on top of the head, this assembly only runs when the sequencing cam has lifted the shift gear up " the bump and go action stops" then the head turn and center drive shaft for the ear spinners and the Krrrr sound and the light on the head will all work until the cam lowers the shift gear back down. When the shift gear is down then the robot has bump and go function.

then the head turn and center drive shaft for the ear spinners and the Krrrr sound and the light on the head will all work until the cam lowers the shift gear back down.

the lightcontact/cardboardbox is barely touched, only when head turns right it lights up for just a split sec

no krrrr sound at all and no ears spinning.

i can't see by what gear the center drive shaft is driven, that what looks like it seems to be too high on the center drive shaft,

the smaller and lower end of that gear has no "teeth". should it?

if it should then i understand how the center drive shaft is working and in this case not.

Follow the linkage. Do you see the small cam with multiple points on it? Now do you see the lever that the cam pushes on? now look at the other end of the Lever and you should see the gear that is moved (pushed up) to shift all the functions. I do not have any of this type robot opened up right now or I would post pictures of how it works, you may have to wait until some else has one open or wait for the repro to come out and see how it works.

These are the only pics I have from the bottom section. I took them some years ago - the chief robotman from a friend of mine on my OP- table - I hope this might help... BTW - MARTIJN ... the cardan is not missing - it is just the straight view from the underside.

post-11-1169314573.jpg

post-11-1169314594.jpg

post-11-1169314625.jpg

thank you yes it helps, these pictures,

i see in the picture that the pin that turns the "turning head shaft" is supposed to be this short!

i thought mine was broken off and i extended it with a little pencil shaft (which i placed over the pin) so that it would grab the hole in the plate to turn the head,

now i understand the shifting of the gears (to as it were shift from one drive shaft to the other)

and now i see what pushes it up!!!! wowww this is what's wrong, the thingie that pushes it up just hangs there the wrong way on the side of the bottom

haha he works!!! thanks robothut and dirk!!!!!

Archived