Tips, Tricks, & Techniques

Keith Palmer

"I have found that an effective way to keep my Mechanized Robots from walking around all in circles is to reduce the outer circumference of the offending wheel with #200 sandpaper."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently purchased a Daiya Astronaut and immediately noticed that his feet had been improperly put together backwards. I could tell because they were longer in the back than the front. It was a relatively quick fix to turn them around and repair this factory faux pa, but then I noticed he would fall over while walking. I tried shortening the linkage inside the legs, but then he didn't walk right, just kind of shuffled. I realized finally that the "D" batteries mounted in the tanks on his back were too heavy, so I soldered some 20 oz. lead weights to his chest and painted them to look like luggage. Astronaut Tourist! Now he works and looks great!

Would love to see a picture of this creation, Robert !

It reminds me of the Masudaya Red Space Man (walking on Pins) who has additional weight package on his chest to balance the batteries in the back.

The green version does not have this feature because the batteries are in the remote control.

Robert, I'm not sure if you are kidding in your post, but both the big Daiya Astronaut and Daiya Space Conqueror (jack hammer gun) have the short part of the foot in front.

"If a few enthusiastic whaps on the bottom of your robot has failed to bring life to the toy, remove the dry cell batteries and try hooking the robot up to a standard 12V car battery."

"The best way to lubricate a slow moving toy is to find a convenient opening somewhere on the body, insert the the straw on your WD-40 can and let er' rip. Move the nozzle around to insure proper coating of everything inside and keep spraying until can is empty."

Robert, you said the feet were improperly put together with the short part forward, but that is how they were designed. I didn't know if you realized that or just mocking the design.

"The best way to lubricate a slow moving toy is to find a convenient opening somewhere on the body, insert the the straw on your WD-40 can and let er' rip. Move the nozzle around to insure proper coating of everything inside and keep spraying until can is empty."

Robert, remember Henk's scientific explanations of WD-40s detrimental effects on tin toys? It's all explained here: WD-40

LMAO! Good one Brian! I had forgotten about that flash cartoon. I was only kidding about the WD-40, though. I actually prefer to use Sperm Whale oil.

Sonny, in the spirit of Keith's post topic, I was goofing on the design of the feet. I guess my sense of humor needs more work than the robot did! :rolleyes:

My R-35's feet were stuck together. A few swipes with the hack saw, though, and the problem was solved.

I notice my Door robot has the same darn problem. Be right back...

You are all without shadow of a doubt as mad as hatters . LOL :blink:

And whilst on the subject , does anyone here know where the saying 'as mad as hatters' originated from.

? Just a little seasonal question.

The origin of the phrase, it's believed, is that hatters really did go mad. The chemicals used in hat-making included mercurious nitrate, used in curing felt. Prolonged exposure to the mercury vapors caused mercury poisoning. Victims developed severe and uncontrollable muscular tremors and twitching limbs, called "hatter's shakes"; other symptoms included distorted vision and confused speech. Advanced cases developed hallucinations and other psychotic symptoms.

solution courtesy of www.straightdope.com

When transporting a Door robot via airplane their heads have been known to explode, to remedy this I have found that drilling a 1/4" hold through the front of the dome will release the pressure.

Archived