1974 - June, Bar Codes First Used

Fineas J. Whoopie

I was just watching a program about the history of Supermarkets (of all things) and learned a bit of trivia that would be helpful for us robot historians to remember. The very first use of a bar code reading machine was in June of 1974. Just thought I would post that fact here for easy access. Obviously any robots that come in a box with a bar code is going to be from no earlier than that year.

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember clearly the debates that the supermarket bar codes induced. People thought that the machines would cheat them on prices as they were being scanned. Another example of a reluctance to accept newer technology or atleast be very suspicious of it. Joe this is really a history lesson for you as unlike me you were too young to remember this event.

Both great facts to know. I had wondered if the ST came into the picture before 1970.

I just took a look at my BULLMARK R/C smoking GODZILLA. I thought for sure these were no later than '69 but it does have the ST mark on the box. I'm surprised they would still be making a toy with this much tin in '72 or '73, but suppose it's possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Both great facts to know. I had wondered if the ST came into the picture before 1970.

I just took a look at my BULLMARK R/C smoking GODZILLA. I thought for sure these were no later than '69 but it does have the ST mark on the box. I'm surprised they would still be making a toy with this much tin in '72 or '73, but suppose it's possible.

Yeah, the old notion of tin toys fading away and plastics taking over toys is just a myth. A lot of the oldest robots were plastic and tin was never phased out by Metal House. Dealers used to try and date robots by the amount of tin was used. This is now a ridiculous idea.

The bar code info is great and yes it is a valuable tool just like the ST mark.

Here is another helpful bit of helpful information

when trying to date the manufacturing date of toys and other objects.

The Zip Code used by the USPS started on July 1, 1963,

So if you have a box or toy with the importers address

on it any were and it has a Zip Code it would have been at least imported after this date.

So now you have Zip Code, Bar Code, and ST designation

to help in dating.

Have fun!

Mr. Jan

Archived