Anybody Know What This Space Gun Is?

ToyMemories

Gun is about 5 1/2" long, simple yet kind of nifty looking...

I have no idea about age, or maker (can't find any marks)

Seams where it was glued together (kind of sloppily), glue has darkened...

Trigger looks as if it should move, but it won't budge, and has one barrel ring with a large chip missing. Just got it in a trade with other stuff recently and curious!

Still so much to learn...

-Mike

post-526-1158816419.jpeg

:) Can you show a picture of the business end of the gun barrel? If you insert a pencil or other probe into the barrel can you detect a setting of a spring action for darts? Is it just a clicker or pop gun? -L7

:) Can you show a picture of the business end of the gun barrel? If you insert a pencil or other probe into the barrel can you detect a setting of a spring action for darts? Is it just a clicker or pop gun? -L7

Hey Larry!

Will try and take (and post) a pic of the barrel opening soon. I'm thinking if it worked it's supposed to shoot small round balls (but then there's no way to load them other than the end of the barrel!) And when you look down the barrel, it's pretty much clear and empty all the way to the back, nothing really visible, and as mentioned the trigger doesn't move at all, though it looks like it should! Maybe it's a non-functional sample (no inner parts?) or something?

-Mike

I've owned one of these. It's a simple clicker gun. I never examined the interior, but mine would make a clicking sound (like plastic on plastic pop) when the trigger is pulled.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh...

Part of the answer was lurking here hidden all along...

The gun was made by a US company named "Rel", whose main output seemed to be crude playsets during the 1950's (crude meaning with not very detailed parts. If you've seen their figures, you know what I mean!).

Shown here is an original Rel factory photo of an obvious prototype carded set that includes the gun ("JetGun!"), a pair of generic type sunglasses (no, they're the "Strato Lens"! Oh, Rel also made Eyeglass frames too), and a regular-looking whistle (but, no! It's the "Patrol Signal"!)

Now, I can finally rest knowing who made the gun... what a RELief!

post-526-1160639299.jpeg

Archived