1980 - 1994 Hong Kong Logos & Trademarks

Joe K.

In a meager effort to follow up on William Gallagher's Japanese logos & trademarks, as published in his book Japanese Toys - Amusing Playthings From the Past, Schiffer Publishing, 2000, presented below are some Hong Kong logos & trademarks as compiled from six issues of Hong Kong Toys catalogs: 1980, '83, '86, '87, '80 and '94. These 400 to 600 page catalogs were printed annually, and later bi-annually, by The Hong Kong Trade Development Council, a quasi-government body charged with the responsibility of promoting and developing Hong Kong's overseas trade and publicizing the opportunities and advantages of Hong Kong as a trading partner.

Within their pages are dozens and dozens of additional Timeline robot and space toy sightings. These will be posted in future Timeline threads.

For now, here's an overview of those manufacturers and importers who continued the tradition of bringing us the robots and space toys we love to collect.

My thanks to Phil R. for the loan of four of these catalogs to help compile this list. My thanks, also, to F.J.W. and "the staff" at his scan & post facilities for the photos that follow.

Here it is. If you've been looking for info on Hong Kong toy manufacturers this is the motherload! The logos are obviously posted in alphabetical order and do not necessarily correspond to the catalog covers posted before or after it. Great stuff guys.

post-143-1157343591.jpg

post-143-1157343619.jpg

post-143-1157343640.jpg

HK_logos0013.jpgpost-143-1157343671.jpg

HK_logos0001.jpg

HK_logos0002.jpg

HK_logos0014.jpg

HK_logos0003.jpg

HK_logos0004.jpg

post-143-1157343696.jpg

post-143-1157343738.jpg

Yonezawa and Masudaya (both in the above lists) are Japanese companies. These must be their later subsidiaries or foreign offices. By the Eighties, everyone was manufacturing in Hong Kong...

First let me add my welcome to Alphadrome Leejim.

Yes Yonezawa was most definitely a Japanese company.

It seems to me that this whole period in the history of toy manufacturing is a story yet to be told. I would also be very interested in the details of this early era of "outsourceing". In the 1970's Japanese companies like Yonezawa all of a sudden were manufacturing in Hong Kong, and Ichiko in Korea. And what exactly was the connection between Horikawa of Japan and SJM of Taiwan? Questions, questions......

Archived