Message Man Robot 2000 Scrolling Text Message

robothut

OK here is a new robot conversion. I wanted to do a chrome Robot 2000 (space walk man / china star strider) but not bad enought to actualy do it. Then I found these Body Billboard displays, they have 140 LEDs set up as a dot matrix display, you can program them with 57 different types of characters and make a message that is up to 50 of these charaters in lenth. You can then select 1 of five different circulation speeds for the message to scroll with. So I removed the guns and doors from the Robot 2000 and made a new chest plate. I added some guns to the bottom of the plate that have blight LEDs flashing in them and the Electronic message device sits above then on the new chest plate. The Body billboard display device has magnets built in to it and comes with a peice of metal (that I am not useing) that would alow you to hold the unit to your cloths for example. But since my chest plate is steel the unit stick on just fine. You need to be able to remove the unit from the robot so you can turn it ON and OFF and progran in different messages. It runs on its own battery supply also. Then for the head I took a R-1 Rescue robot head but added some grill work from a planet robot for the mouth. Also I replaced the lights in the eyes and dome with flashing LEDs.

I coated the chrome paint job with a water based clear latex spray, it gave the robot a kind of antique chrome look.

http://www.robothut.robotnut.com/messageman.html

post-7-1157167495.jpg

post-7-1157167527.jpg

post-7-1157167562.jpg

post-7-1157167592.jpg

post-7-1157167619.jpg

Very cool John. I knew you couldn't stay away! :D

It's amazing how small those LED display boards have gotten. I use to build LED signboards in the early 90's and even the smallest at that time was about 5 times this size!

:) Welcome back to making robots, Robothut! And what a nice one you've made! It is beautiful! I love the head and face, the logo on the front is great, and and the message board action is definitely worthy of a robot. Keep up the fun! -L7

Great to see you making conversions again John! I think we all let out a collective gasp when you said you weren't sure if you would do any more. :o

Very nice, John !!

A well thought out conversion, everything looks so clean,

like it was designed to be that way from the beginning.

Also, I really like the way that finish turned out !!

Archived