Mr Robot: Inside A Mr. Robot

RotoBadger

Robothunter inspired me today to get off my butt and start repairing my white Mr. Robot. Unfortunately I discovered more problems than just a loose head. I found, after getting the batteries to work the robot, that the bulb is broken and the spinning mechanism was not spinning. Otherwise bump and go work. I was feeling up to the task so I took him apart. Seeing what was inside and looking at the tabs leads me to believe this robot has been open before. The long spring in the first picture is supposed to be connected to the post in the second picture. This drives the spinning mechanism in the head. As you can see, the spring was not attached and is severely bent. I can't see how this happened unless someone was inside. It took me about an hour but I got it straightened out and reconnected. After spending all about 3 hours dismantling and reassembling the robot it now does not work at all. I think my re-attaching the spring is catching the bump and go mechanism and is keeping it from letting the motor spin. I now have a dilemma. Do I risk breaking tabs off be taking the whole thing apart again (with no guarantees of fixing it) or do I just finish reassembling and be happy with a nice display bot?

[attachmentid=11064]

[attachmentid=11065]

post-419-1156212447.jpg

post-419-1156212457.jpg

hey , btw.....nice deal you got there.

first off......never close tabs until the robot completey works. and then i would run it awhile.

tabs

i did a couple of tab stress tests . depending on the tork you put on pulling the tabs and amount of rust and ... how many times it was opened before it can vary greatly .......

results

a never before no rust tab went 16 times.

a rusted tab.. went twice.

if you see small crease proceed with caution .

if you see a big crease and its on both side. whoa!! its a gamble.

can you tell if the motor is running? maybe you loosened a wire? do you have a multi-meter? see if your getting power?

you will get it going.

good luck

Heya Bartzenegger...that tab stress test is good to know! I am sure the motor is fine. The spring, I believe, is putting pressure on it and causing it to jam. The thing is, I am new to this "robot repair" thing and I have a LOT to learn! I thought I had everything sorted before I tabbed it all together. Guess I just learned lesson one. :unsure:

Roto - Sorry to hear the bot had more problems! But just take your time and bend those tabs VERY SLOWLY and I know it will all be OK in the end! It's still a beautiful display robot and will worth it when it's finished! ;)

Well, he's back together. Bump and go works fine now but I can't get his head light to work. I decided I might do more damage than good if I kept at it. I accidentally pulled a wire from the motor and had to re solder. At least I got that right. Mr. Robot does make a fine looking display piece too! I used model glue specific for plastic and it worked like a charm with no trace on the dome. :)

• Brian.. changed the title to Mr Robot: Inside A Mr. Robot

Archived