Hook Robot: Inside A Hook

dratomic

As I said in another post, I'm attempting to get my Hook to run a bit smoother. While I've got it open, I figured some people might like to see the inside of this neat little toy.

The mechanism's fairly straight-forward. A friction-driven flywheel drives the toy. A rod runs from the motor up to a slot inside the head... As the wheels turn, so does a small piece of metal. This pushes against the rod, which pivots front and back. The rod runs up to the head... As it moves front and back, it turns the head side to side. A spring helps the rod move back into position after the piece of metal pushes it forward.

Opening the toy is pretty easy -- there are a few tabs underneath the robot. If they're pulled up, the bottom slides right out. the mechanism is held onto the bottom plate with four tabs -- opening two tabs allows it to slide out without opening the other two.

post-124-1155672176.jpg

post-124-1155672196.jpg

post-124-1155672216.jpg

post-124-1155672235.jpg

post-124-1155672255.jpg

post-124-1155672272.jpg

i will update my files. i have most robot " innard" pics. this is one i do not have.!!!!!!!

funny i always heard that it was difficult to reproduce this robot cuz of the mechanism inside.

thank you , thank you!!!!!!!! doc.

Brian,

It looks to be in good shape, just needs some TLC to clean the rust and lubricate it. It's a very compact simple clean design. The Hook has always been one of my favorites. I started a repo project of one over a year ago and after seeing yours last week I started working on it again. I just finished the 2 motor Remote Control unit that would fit in your original if you wanted to upgrade the power unit...yeah rght, like you would want to modify your JEWEL :D

Bart -- the real problem with reproing it is that it's a complicated pressing with a lot of litho detail -- not an easy reproduction.

Grandpa... I think I'll keep the original mechanism. Call me old fashioned, but... ;)

I'm not stressing the clean up -- a little wear and tear is expected, given the overall condition of the toy. I just want to get the gears spinning a little easier. Hopefully all it'll take is a little lubrication and it'll be good to go.

Whoa...not too often you get a good look inside a Hook robot. Very cool. Wish I had the ability to repair some robots like that.

THX A LOT for these cool shots inside BRIAN! I stored those pics just in my repair section archiv. Please be carefull with the tabs - you know that could be the last time - when you are closing the robot... :unsure:

Definitely, Dirk. I'm not closing it up until I'm satisfied that it works well and I won't be opening it up again. For now, as Morbius says, it's a $2K cowbell... but I won't be playing it in any Blue Oyster Cult songs, no matter how much Christopher Walken begs. (Bonus points to whoever gets the reference...)

Definitely, Dirk. I'm not closing it up until I'm satisfied that it works well and I won't be opening it up again. For now, as Morbius says, it's a $2K cowbell... but I won't be playing it in any Blue Oyster Cult songs, no matter how much Christopher Walken begs. (Bonus points to whoever gets the reference...)

:blink:

post-298-1155695076.gif

SNL. Fantastic skit with Will Farrell on Cowbell. Don't Fear the Reaper needs more cowbell!

SNL. Fantastic skit with Will Farrell on Cowbell. Don't Fear the Reaper needs more cowbell!

I went to a BOC concert a couple of years ago and everybody kept yelling, "MORE COWBELL!" during that whole song. I imagine the band is quite tired of that joke by now. ;)

Very interesting Dr. - as Grandpa noted - I was very impressed the the clean efficient mechanism. Now this robot has alittle bit of "heft" to him and now I see where it comes from. I bet his "shell" is light as a feather.

Archived