Lubrication: Gear Lubrication?

dratomic

I know this has been covered somewhere, but what is the best gear lubricate? My Hook robot was sticking a bit, so I opened it up (yeah, I know -- yikes!) and everything seems to be in order. I scrubbed away some rust and dust using Q-Tips and an old tooth brush, and it looks like the only real problem is that there's just too much friction at the gear axels.

Also, where is the best place to apply the lubrication? I'm guessing the points where the gear axels meet the holes in which they're placed. But I shouldn't put lubrication on the gears themselves, correct?

Finally -- any good advice on applying lubrication? Amount, method, etc?

I'll post some pics of the Hook's insides shortly.

Thanks in advance.

I started using a product called G96 Gun Treatment. It cleans old rust off and lubricates and adds a rust protection coat. It doesn't collect dust once it dries. I know it sounds strange to use a product designed for guns but I was introduced to it for use on precision moving machined parts and surfaces. It works great.

Where can it be bought? Hardware stores? Gun stores?

You can find it in sporting goods stores, gun shops or on-line, a 12 oz spray can is around $10.

• Brian.. changed the title to Lubrication: Gear Lubrication?

Archived