Mr. Robot Repair Help!

RotoBadger

Thanks to all for the advice. The plastic pegs are still there although they seem like they've seen better days. I will be VERY careful if I use glue however. I just want to be sure I don't melt the plastic incorrectly. It seems like you get only one shot at this. And yeah, I got really lucky on the price on this one. The seller, at the time, had 0 feedback which may have contributed to the lack of bids.

When I get a chance to work uninterrupted (the wife and daughter are out of the house) I give it a shot at repair.

Man, what would I do without you guys? Seriously. Great advice!

Roto -

You might also want to consider using clear silicone sealant instead of super glue. A small dab on each of the tabs should hold them in place quite nicely. And, should you ever need to take the pieces apart again later, it will be easier than chipping away melted plastic.

Do not use supper glue for alot of reasons. Joe is on the right track with the sillicon but do not use sillicon glue either, use GOOP glue, you will find it at all home depo. lowels type stores and other places as well. A small dab of this GOOP on the tab areas will hold the parts in place with out destroying the plastic parts. As GOOP is a thick glue like sillicon it will stay just where you place it no chance of running. Also it is a flexable glue like sillicon so if you need to take the parts apart later, you can cut the glue and slowly pull it apart. Sillicon glue uses a acid base for the curing at is bad for electronics, also sillicon glue can not be painted, for these reasons I changed over to GOOP type glues years ago and so far no other glue has come close to doing as good a job for these type of projects. You will see that they sell GOOP glue in different type, Household, AUTO,Plumbers, shoe and so on, it does not matter what GOOD you buy they all work the same for what you are doing. They made a formula change change years ago to goop, so now they realy are all the same. Back when the glue first came out the AUTOMOTIVE GOOP was the only one I would buy as it had a solivent that would lightly eat in to plastic for a supper bonding hold, but now thanks to glue sniffing punk kids the formula is changed .

• 2 weeks later...

RotoBadger - How did the Mr. Robot come through his surgery? What option did you end up going with? After all is said and done, I think John's Goop advice is the way to go 100% God knows I've lost track of all the things I've repaired with it since John turned me onto this stuff! Let's see some photos of the poor little guy with head back on! ;)

Still have not had a chance to work on the fellow as I have been slammed with work, the house and family stuff. I think I am going to try the Goop route however. I will post the results later this week hopefully.

Archived