New "charliebot" By Mmm

milwaukeemachineman

Very cool! Are these all original fashioned parts, or are they canabalized from other robot toys? Either way, hes' very interesting looking! Battery-operated with any kind of lights or actions or more of an action-figure type robot?

Mike, that,s very cool, but I also have to ask if it is

a kit or all handmade. I know you have the skills to

make things like this from scratch, but it looks so

smooth. Charlie reminds me of a more refined

Robosapien... B)

O.K. Now to answer the Questions:

1. Joe K, Sorry No pictures of him under construction, but I did built him right after BOTSTOCK III

2. Andyman, Details are as follows, Head is one of those clear plastic bubbles that you put the quarter in the machine and get somekind of trinket, It was one of those bubbles with that clear plastic cap on it. Now on the inside the black helmet is a cap from the AXE deodorant cans with eye holes cut into it to get that willow peak and the eyes are those movable eyes and the mouth is just black plastic net screen surrounded by sheet styrene. The neck is a piece of black plastic hose with ribs the rest is just sheet styrene for the ears with screen mesh on them and a piece of black wire around the head even the antenna is just a piece of wire with a knob on the top inside a white styrene tube.

The Body is two halves of a night light covers bought at the dollar store then the added detail is just white and black plastic cut into shapes for a mechanical look I also used screen mesh and some more black wire. The waist is part of a vacume hose from a small dirt devil and the lower pelvic area is those resturant buttercups three on each side to give it that filled out look and also to be able to put the legs into it. I used some thin rubber tread around the buttercups to represent wheels, same thing at the knees and toes with the rubber tread, of course it doesn't roll but is just a representation so that charlie could also be like a transformer and change into a scooter.

Now the arms and legs are from a star wars battle droid, covered in sheet styrene with all the detail added with wires and half cut tubes of both black and white plastic, I used styrene tubes and square tubes for all areas and gave it that look of pistons or what I call shock absorbers, but both the arms and legs swing around a full 360 degree's and the hands fingers open and close the elbows bend both forward and backwards and the knees of course bend backwards and there are treads on the soles of the feet. At the knees, those half circle white disks are wrapped in a thin tread to give that look of wheels at the knees.

3. Robothunter, sorry no electronics basically it is an action figure kind of robot it is exactly 12 inches in height, I don't do battery operations, I leave that up to more skilled robot builders.

4. Jay, you are right, I thought of a story to go along with charliebot as a butler/delivery type of robot that get's into all kinds of problems with trying to deliver packages throughout the city, getting stuck in revolving doors and getting tangled in dog leashes and then dragged into light poles between the legs, you know funny stuff like that, sight gags to show how unlucky charlie gets into trouble but not of his own accord. a lot like fender from the cartoon movie Robots.

5. Robotnut, Yes he is totally scratch built by using various parts of household goods and some figure parts, and I do like the clean design of the robosapien.

A lot like Andyman, I like to scratch build when I find some kind of interesting piece or plastic bottle with an unusual shape but as long as it looks robotic in nature then I just come up with various parts to put onto it.

I am glad you like it, I hope to make it to Botstock IV and bring it along of course with Johnny 5.

Thanks for all the questions, when I make more I will always show them off here, you guys are great!!

Best Regards, Mike, MilwaukeeMachineMan

Archived