Some Other Pickups...

dratomic

I've been getting some cool stuff over the last few months, but sadly had no camera battery so couldn't post anything. I was going through posting withdrawal! So sorry if I'm a little enthusiastic with the pics... these are the last of 'em!

First, I managed to pick up one of the Argentinian robots, and box. This was a toy I never really thought twice about until finally seeing one in person. Steve pointed out that the details are all hand-painted -- that, plus the really thin, brittle plastic makes the toy seem so primitive... almost like a small piece of outsider art or something.

I also got a Moon Man 001 and box, which is another toy that really grew on me once I got to see it. In fact, I used to tease Pat about his fondness for the weird, chubby spaceman. I guess he's got the last laugh...

The Space Trooper is a recent addition; it's in great shape, though I need to replace one of the antennas.

The Daleks and Hook have been posted about already.

[attachmentid=10743]

Next is a Tigrett Jet Zoom gun and box. This has been a surprisingly difficult toy for me to add to my collection, but now that I've got it, I think it was worth all the effort. It's really avent garde and spacey.

[attachmentid=10744]

I also got the yellow and green versions of the Buck Rogers Sonic gun, which are the rarest of all the colors. They go well with the red one that I picked up at botstock.

[attachmentid=10745]

Finally, I won this rare metallic blue Pifco Zetaray. These toys usually pop up in their copper version -- which is also really cool, but personally, I think the blue one blows it away. Um... no pun intended.

[attachmentid=10746]

That's it. No more toy pics for a while, I promise, unless someone wants a close up or detail image or something. Thanks for indulging me! :)

post-124-1154399344.jpg

post-124-1154399598.jpg

post-124-1154399674.jpg

post-124-1154399767.jpg

I love the Zetaray gun!! Where, when was it made???

The Zetaray is British, and was probably made in the very early Sixties... POSSIBLY late Fifties, but I don't think so. I've been told somewhere around 1960 - 1962. The gun is also available in copper with a red tip. It was also made by an Argentinian company as something like the 007 gun, but in green with a white trigger and tip. The gun clicks, and has a flashlight in the barrel. The tip also houses a lense, which, I'm guessing, focuses the beam. I've yet to try it out, though.

The box isn't uncommon, either, but the one for the blue gun is stamped as such (faintly, in the case of my box -- I didn't even notice the stamp until a few moments ago).

OK Brian, now you're just showing off !!!

How are you ever going to afford a house or a car ?

Oh ya, you live in New York, you don't need those things... :P

Nothing as extreme as your recent finds, but I managed to add a few more to the shelf... :)

P.S. That Moon man reminds me of Alfred Hitchcock.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

post-6-1154402042.jpg

post-6-1154402054.jpg

Robotnut -- nope, no car, no house, no kids, no pets... Once I give up eating, I expect my collection to explode! ;)

Seriously, I like your split-legged 'bot. It's a great shade of blue, and really puts this variation heads and shoulders above his cousins. Very nice! The Atom Rocket 7 looks great, too.

:) Lovely pickups Dratomic! I like them all. The Tigrett gun (red skeleton gun) looks like the pirahnas ate it while it was swimming in the river. -L7

Man! You have been doing very well!

So much for grad school slowing down the collecting. ;)

I must say also that you've gotten very good at taking pictures of toys. The ray gun shots in particular are very clear and show a lot of detail. Gotta love that Pifco...

Dr. A . I'm jealous. The Buck guns look great. I've yet to get the red, yellow and green ones. I recently bid on some to no avail. :(

I'm really beginning to hate you guys with the cash & oportunities to land these gems! Not really, I'm just incredibly jealous, and I have a bad case of Snivlish this morning. Congratulations, you are definately on a roll! I love those ray guns!

Not that I feel a need to justify my purchases or anything... But if it's any consolation, wjn, the cash is simply the result of saving and focus. I'm a grad school student who's writing for magazines on the side (and doing some other freelance-type stuff), so it's not like I have a lot of money. But I'm careful about what I spend it on, limiting my purchases to stuff I need to get by, hanging out with my girlfriend, and the vintage toys.

Also, I decided to sell a few robots, including my Rocketman, which freed up the money for the Hook... in that case, it was about priorities, and wanting to own the pieces that inspired me.

It's boom or bust -- sometimes I've got a lot of available cash (like recently). Other times, I don't get anything because I'm broke. I imagine this is the case for many of us -- we don't all have deep pockets, but we find ways to indulge our collections.

Anyway, I only wrote this to demonstrate that it's possible to build a nice collection without making zillions of dollars, selling body parts, or running guns for a living.

Anyway, I only wrote this to demonstrate that it's possible to build a nice collection without making zillions of dollars, selling body parts, or running guns for a living.

Uh...Doc...did you get my payment for those five M60 machine guns? Heh heh!

Unfortunately, I do have the mortgage, wife, kids, cars, etc. that make it difficult to make large purchases very often, but rather than envy you, I prefer to enjoy and share in your own excitement vicariously. You really put on a good presentation, Mr Writer and I am happy that you were able to acquire one of those impossible dream pieces along with these other nifty toys!

That Zetaray is pretty cool.

...Anyway, I only wrote this to demonstrate that it's possible to build a nice collection without making zillions of dollars, selling body parts, or running guns for a living...

OK, so I've done two out of three. And making zillions wasn't one of them! :ph34r:

Archived