Capt. Quick's Flying Saucers And Rocket Ships

Fineas J. Whoopie

Just found this book of pop out paper space toys and I can't find any info about it on the Internet. The person I bought it from thought that "Captain Quick" was the working title of Captain Video right up until just before production. This book has no logo or company name, nor does it have a date. The book consists of 10 pages of pop out paper space toy designs including the front and back cover. There's a cool robot mask and a space helmet in addition to a number of rockets and ray guns etc. Behind the pop out face on the back cover is a cellophane window for the space helmet. Also included are a tin propeller and a twirly rod to be used as the mechanism that makes the flying saucer fly.

I was hoping that maybe someone here can tell me more about this book and who made it. Thanks!!

post-143-1153027322.jpg

post-143-1153027596.jpg

post-143-1153028182.jpg

post-143-1153028216.jpg

Don, there was a Capt Quick character used as a 2-page filler in some of the later Tom Corbett comics, i.e "Capt Quick: Mystery on the Moons of Mars" Don't know if its the same guy though.

Thanks Robert, I missed that one. Seems like a good lead for sure. I googled the names on the cover, Jim Jones and Paul Virdone thinking they were actors but got nothing. My theory now is that they might be the artist and writer for the comic books.

When I first saw this, Don, I immediately thought of Nestle's Quick (the chocolate milk powder mix). Perhaps it was a mail-in premium. That would account for the lack of publisher, maybe? But then I thought it was unusual for the Jones/Virdone names to appear on the cover. Anyway, I did some web searching and couldn't come up with anything Nestle related. Looks like another dead end! Bringing this thread back to the top of the Talk may trigger someone else's memory...

The Nestle's Quick connection didn't even occur to me Joe. Good thought even if it didn't pan out. Maybe the space helmet on the back cover will jog someone's memory. Behind the face is a clear cellophane "window".

post-143-1153196511.jpg

• 1 month later...

I found this space helmet listed on Mark Bergin's web site. It appears to be a red variation of the space helmet on the back cover of my Capt. Quick book. There is a difference between the antenna on Mark's site and mine (see book's cover for my twirly antenna variation). There are other slight differences in the litho detail but it is generally the same face shape, and "ears". I emailed Bergin to see if he has any info on the background of his helmet a week ago but no answer yet.

post-143-1156012276.jpg

• 2 months later...

Found different edition of the Cap't Quick push out book. This one has the space helmet variation as seen on Bergin's site. No I didn't win it but at least now I know a little more about it. Still don't know who Jim Jones or Paul Virdone was....

post-143-1162535893.jpg

Archived