1984 - Masudaya Catalog, Zel Robots*

Fineas J. Whoopie

Please excuse the cut off edges folks, these are scans of second generation copies and a bit got lost here and there.

This 1984 Masudaya catalog has lots of "Zelrobot" and "Plasman" toys. Neat little guys that I know nothing about.

A few flying saucers were also made this year, the Nasa saucer (Space Ranger No. 3) , the X-7 saucer, the X-8 saucer, the Space Shuttle and the roulette saucers can also be seen in William Gallagher's book Modern Toys, pages 200 - 203. Joe - do you still have any of these Roulette Flying Saucers for sale at the Toy Robot museum?

post-143-1152765356.jpg

post-143-1152765416.jpg

post-143-1152765524.jpg

post-143-1152765558.jpg

post-143-1152766382.jpg

Sold the last of those roulette saucers months ago, Don. Still have the single, large display box the 12 of them came in, though. The saucers themselves were only marked "Japan". The box has the Ichimura logo. See William Gallagher's Japanese Toys, page 42 (the Indian head logo). No mention of Masudaya anywhere.

I also have the Zel Robot "A" Set. Again, the Masudaya name does not appear at all. The box does have a sticker on it from Calderon Co., Inc (the same Calderon whose catalog you recently posted photos of). Originally, the box described the robot within as a "See Through Robot". That's what's pictured on the box. The words "see through", however, have been blackened out with a magic-marker. The robot that came with this set was a solid blue color. Note that in the Masudaya catalog all the Zel Robot Sets came with "metallic silver" bodies.

Also have the "B" Set, but with a clear plastic see-through body on the robot. Interestingly enough, the Zel Robot name sticker on the robot's chest is covering over another sticker beneath it. I always wondered what that first applied name tag was. I now suspect it says Plasman!

Topper, can you provide any additional information on these neat little wind-ups?

My thanks, again, FJW to you and your diligent "staff" at the 'scan & post' facility. Another job well done!

Sold the last of those roulette saucers months ago, Don. Still have the single, large display box the 12 of them came in, though. The saucers themselves were only marked "Japan". The box has the Ichimura logo. See William Gallagher's Japanese Toys, page 42 (the Indian head logo). No mention of Masudaya anywhere.

I also have the Zel Robot "A" Set. Again, the Masudaya name does not appear at all. The box does have a sticker on it from Calderon Co., Inc (the same Calderon whose catalog you recently posted photos of). Originally, the box described the robot within as a "See Through Robot". That's what's pictured on the box. The words "see through", however, have been blackened out with a magic-marker. The robot that came with this set was a solid blue color. Note that in the Masudaya catalog all the Zel Robot Sets came with "metallic silver" bodies.

Also have the "B" Set, but with a clear plastic see-through body on the robot. Interestingly enough, the Zel Robot name sticker on the robot's chest is covering over another sticker beneath it. I always wondered what that first applied name tag was. I now suspect it says Plasman!

Topper, can you provide any additional information on these neat little wind-ups?

My thanks, again, FJW to you and your diligent "staff" at the 'scan & post' facility. Another job well done!

I think you guys have pretty much written the encyclopedia entry for this line already. Mine are currently in storage but I do remember my A set box also having the "see through robot" marked out and a blue robot substituted. I have one blue, a see thru and a silver robot with various pieces of equipment. I've never run across any plasman versions but I'll keep my eyes open. Although the toys are very well made the stickers on the rotating launch platform are almost afterthoughts in their design.

Daniel

Archived