1976 - Captain The Robot And Philip The Robot

Fineas J. Whoopie

Here's the latest dispatch from the Joe K. Toy Robot Museum catalog collection to the Fineas J. Whoopie scan and post center.

This 1976 Calderon toys and gifts catalog offers both the Captain the Robot by MTU from Korea (known as The Robot Captain when produced by Yone in Japan) and Philip the robot. This is the first time I've heard of this or any other robot being named Philip. Can anyone post a picture of the Philip box? My assumption would be that since the "Captain the robot" version (ie the the Korean version) is offered here, this "Philip the robot" is probably form MTU in Korea as well. Who can post pics of the Japanese and Korean boxes for Philip or his variations to help confirm?

post-143-1152397832.jpg

post-143-1152397860.jpg

post-143-1152397894.jpg

post-143-1152397924.jpg

Get ready to man the edit button, Don...

I have both the MTU (Korea) and Yone (Japan) versions of these robots. I believe they are both the Yone pieces, not MTU.

On the back of The Robot Captain is the Yone logo, the words "Made In Japan" and "No. 2121". This Calderon catalog uses the "2121" as their order/part number. Also, the catalog photo shows that the plastic top-of-the-head clip is very angular in shape. The MTU version is noticably more round-edged in shape. The rectangular sparking chest opening is smaller on the Yone than on the MTU. The catalog photo appears to have this smaller opening as well.

On the bottom of the Swivel robot (molded into the plastic) is the Yone logo, the words "Made In Japan" and "2219". Again, this is the Calderon catalog number assigned to Philip The Robot. In addition, the Yone version has a chromed "head-dress" and no eye pupils, just as depicted in the catalog photo. The MTU version is chrome-less and has eye pupils.

I initially thought both these robots were the Korean "knock-offs" based on the "Captain The Robot" name. Closer examination proves otherwise.

Thanks for posting the pics and making me double check myself.

You make some very good points Joe, particularly the catalog numbers. I'm still a bit curious about the fact that it's listed in the catalog as "Captain The Robot" (as is my MTU Korean version) and not "The Robot Captain" as is the Yone Japanese version as seen in the Wyse catalog, item # 105. I also just noticed that the catalog version has it's "ears" oriented horizontally. Both the Japanese and Korean versions that I've seen have their ears oriented Vertically. Have you seen any other "horizontal ear" versions before?

Thanks for the pics Phil - obviously the "Philip" robot had a long production run in three different locations.

post-143-1152466150.jpg

:) No horizontal ears for me, but I do have an MTU Captain with red chest gel intact, and I have yet to see a Yone Captain that was even designed to have a chest gel. -L7

Actually, I have two Yone "Captains". One complete and one "junker" (missing right arm and broken right foot). Both have "horizontal ears". Both do not have gels in their chest openings. My MTU "Captain" does have a red gel and "vertical ears".

As for the "ears", they are movable. I was able to rotate the "junker's" 90 degrees and go from horizontal to vertical.

I am at a loss to explain the "Captain the Robot" vs. "The Robot Captain" name. (Perhaps a look at a 1976 Yone Company wholesale catalog might prove useful.) Those Calderon catalog numbers coinsiding with the numbers printed on the Yone pieces proves to me they are one and the same.

Aha! So the ear thing is explained - nice to have a junker on hand for such experiments. ;)

The catalog numbers are compelling evidence I agree.

:) Was there indeed a box for Phillip? Might have to email zzrobot on that one. Joe, did you have to disassemble the robot to move the ears to horizontal? Because after viewing the photos above yesterday, I broke one trying to spin it on the robot! Ha Ha! Superglue to the rescue! -L7

• 2 weeks later...

Just to kkep the record...I found a pic of the "PHilip" robot with box from yahoo japan with a box that seems to be in Korean (?). But check the litho on the chest...it's like the one of the announcement without the "thunder" icon in it. Another thing in the box the robot is red...and there's an actual version of the robot in red.

post-202-1153928171.jpg

Archived