Paint...experts Please Help!!

duxastrogirl

Ok, so I got this cool rare toy that comes with an astronaut. The astronaut is incomplete, missing head and one arm. So I bought a junker with a similar astronaut and took out the needed head and arm. I am now succesfully cleaning (sanding manually cause the pieces are minimal) all the rust. My question to the experts is: before applying the definitive paint...do I have to paint the pieces with a base or something? antirust paint? or what kind of base??

Thanks in advance!!

A pale grey or greyish white "primer" should do as base.When purchasing it , ask the seller for eventual reaction with your "final" paint, let him know which one it is, so he can point you to the right primer !!! don't apply the final paint on the primer before it has totally dried, but do not wait weeks to do so either, or, if you do, clean it with just a bit of water !

Dux, Could you be a little more definitive. Are you replacing the missing parts and sanding the replacement pieces for repaint? I'm now in the process of major repair on a space piece which I'll post.

When I remove rust I use a 3/4" fine wire brush on a dremel at low speed so that I can remove only the necessary area. I then feather the edge created between good paint and rusted areas with 320 sandpaper. I clean the area with mineral spirits and then a cleaner such as fantastic sprayed on a cloth( not directly onto the surface). I then coat the area with a 5 minute two part clear epoxy with my finger (you can wear tight rubber gloves) making sure it's smooth. Or you can use water based polycrylic. If the piece is entirely cleaned of paint you can use a primer. I then use mixed airbrush acrylics and spray the area with the color several times to blend the old and new area. If you get overspray on another surface with acrylics you can remove it with a q-tip and cleaner.

If you don't have the art skills you can spray the area with a small can of quick drying hobby paint before fastening to the robot, etc. Or you can mix hobby paints and apply to match. I use airbrush acrylics because the pigments are so intense and fine they don't leave brush strokes if you apply carefully in layers with a good flat brush. the acrylics have to then be spray coated with something like krylon clear coat. and then perhaps a smooth coat of polycrylic gloss brushed on . It sound involved but that's how I do the work for clients. You can get a better idea when I post the project soon.

It takes skill and practice to match existing colors.

If you have questions let me know. redmanrestores@suscom.net

Could you indicate the item and replacement parts. Many times the parts will not match on the same item using a replacement litho tin.

Thanks both!

Phil, I had to clean ALL the old paint and I did exactly as you said. First with a dremel and now I am finishing the small details with sandpaper (my fingers hurt!). So the pieces are almost now bare metal.

Up to what I get from Xris and your instructions next will be the primer...

My plan after that will be to spray the general color (in this case silver) and then imitate the litho details. I have hobby acrylics for that Phil...do you think those are good?

Can I get the primer in Home Depot or should I go to a more especialized store?

Dux, try using soft leather tight fitting gloves that have good dexterity to save your fingers or latex gloves. The latex fit either hand and are cheap..

I like white primer. You can get it anywhere . That way you can go any direction with cover paint. You can use small cans of spray hobby paint for the background color and use fine pigment paints such as airbrush opaque paints to paint details. You don't want to build up a layer. Litho is always smooth. You can cover the parts with several light coats of krylon clear gloss or satin depending on the finish you need. :)

• Brian.. changed the title to Paint...experts Please Help!!

Archived