New Raygun Display

Fineas J. Whoopie

Hi Fineas this a cool display !! I have purchased the ray gun book

I know that there's alot of space guns out there. very interesting

genre of space toys, I own a Triple O Space Gun, ever seen one?

I could post photos for you as soon as I unpack my storage lot.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VERY nice, Don....

I didn't realize you had branched out into Cosmic WMDs' !!

You have quite the little arsenal there !! The display looks

great, and I LOVE those colors....Thanks for the pic !!! :)

Along with Don's Arliss Bubble Gun, there are now two space guns in this thread that get me drooling. Rocket... Quit torturing me! I thought I had you beat with my prototype Rocket Gun, and then you had to go get that magnificent piece of plastic. One day I'll get somehing you don't have but really, really want. ;)

Steve, to answer your question -- There was a metallic green Space Patrol smoke/powder gun which has the same swirly quality to it. Also, Meritt (am I spelling that correctly?) made the Cracker Jet gun, which was a knock off of the Renwal Planet Jet (which itself only came in yellow, red, and blue...). Again, green and swirly. The Space Patrol powder gun is pretty common, though commands high prices, and the Cracker Jet is really rare (though maybe it's more common in Europe, seeing as Meritt (sp?) was a British company). I've no idea what it's worth -- I know of one collector offhand who has one. I'm sure there are others (and if they feel like selling... ahem...)

As for other green guns, there's the Flash Gordon Siren Gun, which came in a nice "Gumby" green (see Phil's post, above); some smaller, common clicker-type pieces (such as the Pyro Plastics Space Control gun); a lighter green Buck Rogers Sonic gun; and the very nice, fairly rare, Atom Buster, which also came in yellow and red. I've got the yellow one, and had a chance to get a mint in mint box green one... but fate conspired against me, and despite multiple chances, I somehow let it slip away. There were many long faces here in the Atomic Armory...

I've been told -- and Rocket or John Rigg can probably confirm or deny this -- that the metallic plastic wasn't easy to mix, and by the time it made it through the whole molding process, some of the metal flake (or whatever they used) would pool throughout the toy, leading to darker spots, swirls, and ripples. I'm sure it was considered an unavoidable flaw back in the Fifties, but today, I think it turns each piece into an individual work of art.

And now, just so I can join in the fun, some other rare ray guns... The candy-colored Pyrotomic Disintegrator, and a yellow/silver Space Patrol Rocket gun prototype.

post-124-1150175052.jpg

post-124-1150175078.jpeg

More thanks all around.

Silktorpedo - I'd love to see a Triple O Space Gun, I can't picture one at the moment so I can't say for sure if I have seen one or not.

Phil - Yes I have seen those glass rayguns and they are awesome!

Rocket - You find me a primary color version of the Pyrotomic disintegrator and I'll get the money together - (I'm not kidding!) Oh, and that green prototype is just too freaking cool.

Dratomic - I guess I deserve to see that picture of your Pyro after flaunting my Arliss so shamelessly!! ;)

And I realized that I forgot one of my very favorite rayguns in the picture of the new display - my Tom Corbett Space Cadet Atomic Rifle is displayed on the wall right above the shelves.

post-143-1150180675.jpg

Fineas: What a great collection! And the white shelving is a great choice IMO. Your Atomic Rifle is just beautiful -- no wonder you give it a place of prominence; it certainly deserves that! :)

Phil R: Thanks for posting that 'Joe Blow' link, I had never heard of them but OMG their work is AMAZING! I can't stop drooling over the gorgeous photo of their Small Blue Snubnose Raygun with Red Handle -- absolutely breathtaking.

Fin, I gotta say I quite like that one on the top shelf with the fin. No pun intended. Really. I mean it.

Very interesting posting Phil R, Like seeing things I've not seen

before. you wouldn't think that molten glass and rayguns would

mix!!

Dr. A, you force me to pull out the big guns... (the pun was intentional)... did you metion torture? I haven't even begun!... (Insert maniacal laugh here...)

"One day I'll get something you don't have but really, really want..." OK, good luck with that...

ROCKET -[O_O]-

Those didn't do it for you? OK, try these...

ROCKET -[O_O]-

post-177-1150262594.jpg

post-177-1150262855.jpg

Fin! .....(Looks like we need to find you a Pyrotomic...)

ROCKET -[O_O]-

That was quick! I'll take the yellow one! ;)

Archived