New Raygun Display

Fineas J. Whoopie

Some of you are familiar with my glass case where I used to keep my rayguns, it was a nice place to set a toy to take pictures. Well I had to get rid of it, I ran out of room in that case a long time ago and the new additions to the raygun collection have been getting placed all over, wherever there was room. So I finally did something about it and put them all into a new set of shelves (garage sale finds). At least I can look over and see them all in one view now. Oh - the saucer is a double and is just there to fill what would be an otherwise empty shelf. It's still a work in progress, I still want to find some sort of material (probably styrofoam) to use as a platform to raise the upright guns a few inches, and then I can take the guns that are laying flat now and prop them up against the platform. This way each shelf will have two levels of guns, each leaning in an upright position.

post-143-1150089260.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool, Fin! A nicely developing collection -- LOVE the Arliss Bubble Gun. Rare, and the yellow is much nicer than the red version.

Wow, nice collection Whoopie! I have a few in my collection and plan is to put them on the walls when I get my display room completed. Rayguns really look sharp when displayed together...I need to get a few more for sure.

FW, Love the guns. I'm a big fan. Do you have any of the Buck Rogers and Flash gordon pieces? By the way, you could do what Joe K. does for levels . Use clear plastic step shelves. They come in widths and various numbers of steps. I think they're available at display suppliers. :)

Fineas - I guess I was so focused in on your robot and spacetoy collection -I too didn't even realize you had such a fine raygun display. Impressive!!!!

Oh... just thought of something... Don't use styrofoam. It doesn't always react well with plastic, and can sometimes even melt it. I don't know the specifics, but there MIGHT be a thread somewhere that talks about this in the context of robots.

You might instead look online for a box supply company that sells small white cardboard boxes -- the kind you can buy jewelry in. Or, as suggested, acrylic stands of some sort.

Thanks Dr. A, I was aware of that thread but it didn't occur to me. Good point. On my next trip into Portland I'll do some shopping around for a nicely sized material of some kind. Phil - I only have two "higher end" guns the Planet Jet (yellow plastic , top shelf - goes with the helmet) and the Arliss Bubble Gun (second shelf, again yellow plastic). Most of my gun purchases have been "quick fix' buys in between saving up for robots and other spacetoys - but I fully intend on picking up a couple of nice Buck Guns sometime in the future (no pun intended). I particularly like your Flash Gordon squirt gun (something about that yellow plastic).

Thanks for all of your comments everyone, in a way now that I've put together these new shelves, I'm getting to see the collection as a whole for the first time myself!

Fin! Nice job on the ray gun collection! Great array of colors and sizes, and very nicely laid out. The white shelving really makes those colors pop! (Looks like we need to find you a Pyrotomic...)

Here's a recent pick-up of mine.. a monochromatic prototype in swirled green of the Space Patrol dart gun. (They are always two tone, but this one is ALL green.) I looked forever for a larger, geen plastic ray gun to round out my early primitive-color plastic guns, but few come in green. It came in a collection of early Space Patrol and Space Cadet premiums and toys I just got... more photos when I get time to shoot them..

It's nice to see other space toys on this board... it coaxed me from lurker to participant!

ROCKET -[O_O]-

post-177-1150148818.jpg

Very interesting green color. Do you know of any other toys that matched or were close to this shading of green. (yes green is my favorite color!)

Archived