Tinplate: Hobby Metals

David Kirk

I'm messing with my home made robots, and I'm looking for a way to close up some sections and to make some parts. I have these little brass strips made by K&S metals, but I don't have all that I need and I can't find a source nearby. I'd also like other profiles and materials that they haven't got, like half rounds or chrome-plated pieces. Does anybody have a good supplier for these sorts of things?

David, try "hobby metals" keywords. ksmetals.com is a good one. Many hobby stores and suppliers carry metals strips and rods, etc. Ben Franklin, Michaels, you may even find some items in small hardware stores. :)

Thanks! That sight has a lot of good stuff. Still, I wish I could find some more metal shapes. I don't particularly want to start buying press brakes and such. The main thing I want is something to simulate the strips that hide the seams. A 3/16 or 1/4 inch strip with a 10 or 20 degree angle pressed in would do. Hey, I just looked at the tools on that sight. John, What do you think of the mini-brake, shear they've got for $200. Would that be useful, or is it just a toy?

• Brian.. changed the title to Tinplate: Hobby Metals

Archived