Monster Robot Help

Tinman

Just wondering if anyone has been inside a Japanese Monster Robot? I received the robot in the mail today and took him for a spin. Everything works well but the head doesn't close when it supposed to. If I push on the top during the closing phase it only takes minimal pressure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

post-329-1149993775.jpg

Nothing wrong with the batteries. I took a chance and opened him up and found a spring disconnected, but I'm not sure where it goes. It's the spring in the center of the back.

Sure does and that's what I thought. The tab that the large spring connects to in the center-rear of the head has apparently broke off cause I found it laying in the body after I posted the question. Bummer. Not sure what I can do with it yet. Hope your available for further advice in case I mess this thing up more. Thanks Whoopie.

:) Not a big problem Tinman, If you can, reattach it somehow, anyhow. 'McGuyver' it if you have to! Maybe drill a small hole in the head and hook the end of the spring in or something like that. If not, I have an extra head that I can send you. If you need it, email me at ljlarryrjones (at) hotmail (dot) com Good luck, -Larry 7

;) Like Larry said Tinman. Make a little hole and place a screw where the broken tab was. It should work better than before<. & If you need an an entire insides, I have a serious qty of the Taiwanese one, which has the same insides as the japanese; bizarelly sturdier ! I never had a taiwanese breaking, while your Japanese is the 3rd one I heard of with the same problem !!!

Good luck. I had some advice I had posted but after re-reading this thread I realized that I misunderstood which hook broke off. Nevermind! :D

And one more word of advice regarding all these Monster 'bots:

Be very careful when adjusting the arms. There is a very thin sliver of a plastic piece that "locks" the arm in place. It also makes the clicking sound when the arm is rotated. THESE BREAK VERY EASILY! And when they do, they are nearly impossible to glue back and have them function again, without breaking again!

Play it safe. Don't move the arms at all.

It's funny you should say that Joe. One of the first things I did was break off a plastic tab! :blink: The other was already gone. That isn't the part that's bothering me...what a stupid design anyway! I'm having a hard time guys. Since I've taken him apart all hell has broken loose. The motor is making all kinds of ungodly noise, I broke a wire for the head light, and the gears that make his head pop up and mouth open and close seem to be free floating and won't do their job. I'm not mechanically inept but things were going south real fast so I put the pieces back into the box, flipped it the bird, and walked away.

I'm inserting Woopie's pic to point out the gears I'm talking about. The one on the right has a circular notch in it that allows the turning motorized gear to pass by and activate the gear on the left, making the mouth open and close. At least that's what I'm guessing.

Before I got into him, the only problem was his head wouldn't retract. What a nightmare. Fortunately, I didn't pay a lot for him or I'd be extremely disheartened.

post-329-1150068886.jpg

Hey Tinman93 - Sorry to hear about you having trouble but if you want I'll take a shot at putting your robot back together for you. I like tinkering and these later robots that use screws to hold the body together are fun to work on (no stress over breaking tabs). If you are interested, email me at -

mollymo(AT)charter(dot)net

Thanks for the offer Whoopie, I may take you up on it if I can't figure this thing out. I appreciate it.

I was thinking, because the robot's head light is out of the circuit, wouldn't that increase the speed of the motor, possibly causing it to operate improperly (spin too fast/make lots of noise)?

I guess it's something I need to repair first or at least fix it so I can connect/disconnect it as needed during the repair.

When I got my Saturn robot (after Botstock 3 I found out that it's actually a Jupiter in a Saturn box) I became an instant expert on taking him apart and fixing him. That's because he worked all of 5 seconds when got him. My experience was the same as your's, Tinman. The robot basically dissolved when I opened him. I had pieces all over the place! Fortunately I'm kind of a natural when it comes to puzzles. ;)

BTW-Thank god for screw assemblies!

• Brian.. changed the title to Monster Robot Help

Archived