Scifi Pop Up Books

Phil R

I've always been a book, comic and magazine collector. One of my favorites is popup books. I have about 50 in the collection, but of course the scifi ones are my favorites. The rest are antique or repros of 19th Century, early 20th Century or 70s and 80s comic characters when popups were prevalent.

The following are Buck Rogers, Star Trek, Star Wars, Black Hole, Tron, Space Shuttle, The Universe and Haley's Comet.

Last but not least is ROBOT. However you'll probably be disappointed because it's done in a comic, kid's stlye. Sorry, no Robby or classics. I'm only showing one or two popups but most of the books have 5.

I hope you enjoy them. I'm showing them as covers and then inside popups. :)

These are the interior shots, primarily the first popup or in some cases a more interesting one. Ironicallly, one of the robot popups is a weightlifter. I was working for York Barbell Company in advertising/marketing at the time. :D

Sorry about the confused appearance of the photos. When I added the second group the order was messed up.

Great collection!

I've always had a thing for pop-up books too -- it's just amazing how ingenious some of those books are, and they don't cost much either. Thanks for sharing those photos with us!

I own the Jan Pienkowski pop-up book called "Haunted House", but did not know she had done that "Robot" book; I'll have to track one down!

Archived