Henks Fantastic Creations

gernot

My question on the Directional is did Henk turn a green version more green or transmutate a blue into a green. (or take a junker with the paint already mostly off)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question on the Directional is did Henk turn a green version more green or transmutate a blue into a green. (or take a junker with the paint already mostly off)

One thing I learned with Michaelangelo da Vingosses, is that you do not paint over existing paint, because very often there will be a bizarro reaction; frinklishsmic & unexpected, even 3 days later, when it will suddenly peel down or whatever.

So, when Henk was painting a robot, he was always removing the pre-existing paint first, generaly by burning it with a torch, then applying a "basic" grey or white covering that he water polished before applying the paint, then a varnish. That took him a couple-o-days, then he would look at it , burn it over & start again the processus because he wasn't fully happy with it.

As for the Directional, he did add the magic touch, the plastic green transparent top, which, if I do remember correctly, had started his life as the handle of a small screwdriver.

Thx for the explanation Xris and hey - one day your just a ordinary screwdriver handle and the next your part and parcel of a "Vingosses"!!!

9t9

GREAT STUFF!!

I'm a graphic artist but I actually understood what you meant by "blue/green/blue" and "green/blue/green", I think??? The Sir Galaxy was meant to be metallic. I got rid of mine but certainly would have kept it if it had been metallic, especially the iron look.

You're absolutely correct about painting. You have to at least clean and prepare the surface for new paint, and if you're painting a lighter color it's best to strip the paint. The gray and white are special primers which help the final paint to adhere better. Obviously, H.I. was a purist. STRIP THE PAINT!!!! :)

To turn a tin robot a little green you just have to make him a little envious...

But how do you paint plastic like that (and with that kind of paint) without damaging the plastic (or its psyche)?

:) Different kinds of paints and primers do not soften and swell plastic. Possibly he used an enamel primer, the solvents are not as aggressive. Or there is even waterborne primer, sometimes we use it in the automotive industry to paint over an old finish to keep it down. Usually when we know or suspect that there is lurking under the old finish evil things that we don't want to awaken (massive old repairs that we are not going to get paid to completely remove and then replace when our new paint makes it bubble up!). -L7

• 4 weeks later...

Here I like to add one of Henks very first creations.

I recently exchanged some mails with Armand (Hui Bon Hoa) one of the well known big robot collectors from the 70s and 80s, living in Paris, France.

Armand told me that this creation was given to him in the late 70s/early 80s by Henk.

He still keeps it, even all other robots from his collection are gone.

This must be in the very early days of Henks collection - a wind up Robot 7 transferred into a little Mr. Atomic, just a great and simple idea (reminds me of Johns Mr. Atomic/Robby conversion).

post-25-1151595098.jpg

post-25-1151595109.jpg

post-25-1151595121.jpg

:blink: :wacko:Here's my very own Mr Bulletomic along with TALLBOY; Henk's unfinished symphony, that I will try to finish ; whenever CHRONOS allows me !!!

post-75-1151598331.jpg

:) How nice! For him to have kept this small hand painted guy all this time, when long after the entire fantastic collection was sold, is wonderful. -Larry7

This is utterly amazing!! Henk must have been something else :) !! These inventions are toy shelf originals as far as I care. He made them better then the professional factories :) !!!

Jean

But how do you paint plastic like that (and with that kind of paint) without damaging the plastic (or its psyche)?

Dux when you were at the Robot Hut and you saw the Solar robot yard lights, they are all plastic robots painted with Hammer tone paint. Non of the two brands of Hammer tone / hammer rite paints have a bad effect on plastic. You can buy them at Home Depo and Lowels in many different colors. I have done robots in every hammer tone color made, I like paint finnishes that have a texture to them. In fact the Machine Man band robots are painted with hammer tone paint to make them look like metal, and they do. Its cool stuff, buy a can and play around with it.

Archived