Ding A Ling Repair And Modifications

Topper

Hi All

Has anyone compiled the tips and suggestions we've seen over the years to repair and troubleshoot problems with their collections? I've done the usual powerpack fixes and repaired King Ding's arms (limb loss seems to be chronic with this guy) but I strongly suspect several of you out there have delved into more ambitious challenges. For example Jean's recent work on Driver ressurrection. If there is no compilation I would be glad to take that on.

One area I'm most interested in is any advice on disassembly of the plastic bodies. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hello Daniel,

I have a King Ding with an arm that snapped off (broken from inside). This seems to be very tricky to fix. I am afraid I may damage it more. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Jean

Jean

I just did a repair on one of my Kings last week. I opened the front portion of his chest (held by 4 screws) which gave me complete access to his inner mechanism (incidently this was also an opportunity to do some indoor cleaning). When not broken, the arms are held in place by a round plastic disc about the size of a quarter. This is attached to the arm itself with a plastic pin that anchors with a screw. The arms have no mechanism beyond setting in the "socket" of the shoulder as it swivels. When King Ding's arms snap off it's the plastic pin that usually breaks. I cleaned off all the broken surfaces, reglued the pin using ceramic cement and re-attached it to the arm with a slightly longer screw (I was careful not to use one too long so it wouldn't pierce the outside of the "shoulder"). Once dry I popped the arm back in the socket, put the chest plate back on and he was fine. Just like a standard hip replacement. In fact it may be stronger now. If I get a chance I'll take a photo and post it.

Daniel

Hello Daniel,

Thanks a million for this information!!! I would have never figured this out on my own!!!

Jean

Hey Daniel, let me first say that I enjoy your site very much and I am looking forward to meeting your acquaintance. Jean and I were recently talking about how to repair Kind Dings arm. I took mine apart as you did a few weeks ago to place one of the springs back on the pulley. Although my arm is attached, it is a tad loose. It wont stay up like the other one does. It simply droops down. Do you have any thoughts on how I can correct this? Once again Daniel, I am so glad that you posted. Thanks again for a wonderful site.

Hi Roback

Middle age Droop. Seems to hit about this age for everyone including the King. Never thought about it but I would reccomend going to a craft store and getting some very thin balsa wood. Then use the circular joint as a pattern and cut several discs. These could be popped inside the joint when the body is open to add pressure and support. In addition you wouldn't have to glue them so the plastic wouldn't be harmed. Should work.

Can you tell I'm in medical research?

Daniel

Thanks for the tip Daniel. Say, is there any way that I can get in touch with you? I'd like to chat a bit about some Ding A Ling stuff that I was wondering about. I also have some idea's about how to get a hold of some Topper info. Two years ago I rented out a convention center in Manhatten to hold the first ever three day Mego convention. I primarily collect Mego action figures and if you guys would like to see more, drop by my site at www.megocentral.com

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone makes King Ding arms? I have two that are armless. I am a newbie but collect zeroids, major matt, colorforms aliens, and ding a lings.

Sure Roback

My direct email is danielscottangel@yahoo.com and I live in San Francisco. Anything you can add to the Topper history would be fabulous and I can give you direct credit for any information.

I'll take a look at your site ASAP. I'm a Mego fan by default. I had a few of those as a kid many, many years ago.

Daniel

Hello Dan,

I am in the middle of fixing the King Ding and your instructions could not be more accurate!! I hope I fix it soon because my son is driving me "crazy" about it. I bought this one for him!!

Jean

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone makes King Ding arms? I have two that are armless. I am a newbie but collect zeroids, major matt, colorforms aliens, and ding a lings.

I guess not :(

Archived