Gears: Brass Gears

archive

If you can 't cannibalize an exact gear from another toy and want to repair the "split" gear try this. Make sure the gear is clean and dry. Use rubbing alcohol to cleanse the split. Use super-glue and a small clamp to mend the split. Let it dry for at least a day longer if possible. Use a drill bit one size larger than the shaft diameter that the gear fits on. Most hobby shops carry these very small drill bits. A pin-vise hand drill works well or just using the bit alone will do. Drill slowly and carefully so as not to re-split the gear. Use quick cure epoxy to remount the gear on the shaft. Ideally you want the epoxy to occupy the space between the shaft and the newly enlarged gear hole. Using a toothpick build up a very small amount of the epoxy on either side of the gear and onto the shaft. Make sure the epoxy does not fill in between the teeth of the gear. Let the epoxy cure for at least a day.'

I made an online purchase of brass 8-tooth 48 pitch gears. They were 55 cents each and I recall a discussion here a while back about their availability. These are gears for 1/24 slotcars which I have & I have used these gears to repair toys. If anyone is interested this url should get you there: http://www.ncphobbies.com/newstore/slotcar...gears.html' I did find EXACT replacement "Blinking Lights" for both the REMCO Lost In Space Robot and BIG LOO if you stain them red with SUNCATCHER paint. Go to www.toyreplicas.com and go to the second Matt Mason page.'

• 1 year later...

hi all....i had a rotate o matic super astronaut which when in operation guns would only partially come out and operations were hit and miss..( a common fault with this design also evident with apollo 2000 series which has same style gun mechanism)...at that time i had no replacement..i also like to keep all original parts if at all poss...the solution was to invert pinion gear(turn upside down and replace...it has to be fitted to the right height to engage all functions...the brass pinion gear serves three main functions...walk...rotate...gun operation...this wear arises from the sprung loaded quarter gear (gun function)returning to start position(under tension) takes a slither of brass with it everytime it returns....take care when dismantling your robot...it can be more collectable not functioning...than a functioning carve up job....whirrr!

• Brian.. changed the title to Gears: Brass Gears

Archived