Egg! ...and Easter Has Been..

H.I. Gosses

Finally I could not resist it anymore. All the great men on this earth had,- or were, converted smokers.

Being a smoker myself, I considered converting me, but on reflection I decided on a robot.

So behold (drumroll) my first Smoker conversion!

The robot was deprived of it's familiar face and a small laser was mounted on the breast.

This proved to have capricious electronics, so finally,-laser #4!-, it was given separate batteries.

post-72-1145584226.jpg

The laser and the motor are switched with the same switch. Apart from a red glow in the chest, it is

only visible in the smoke coming from the mouth.

post-72-1145584433.jpg

The effect of the laser is 'specially charming, not when the robot is smoking but when it

splutters afterwards. Then there is a sort of Morse-code building in the air. Though I beefed up

the smoke unit, the presence of a heavy cigar-smoker adds to the performance.

No box as the eventual owner hates "cardboard",-unless I make more of these.

A word of caution: Do not fool around with lasers. For one their electronics make your

bloodpressure rise and two in spite of the low power your eyes hurt when you accidently

looked into them a few times.

post-72-1145584940.jpg

Very nice. What sort of power does the laser take? I thought you didn't believe in such hi-tech gizmos for toy robots. Does the laser wobble, at least? I'm expecting some sort of show. Maybe it projects the image of a flying saucer or a saturn on the ceiling as it walks? What is the button in the middle of the chest plate?

Gizmo's go with smokerconversions. Besides the laser was invented in the fifties (BS argument actually)

It wobbles as the robot waddles and the smoke stays +/- still.

It does project on the ceiling,- a stripe... No, no I mean: the flying stick insects from Mars!

The button in the middle is a temporary nut to gain access to the laser,

'til I'm sure this one will live.

I have no cat.

Rivets are an under die and a punch in a deepthroated (sorry..) press.

Difficult not to make a hole in the tin.

Power is 2 AA's. Could have been provided by the main batteries but the laser dies

when the current fluctuates, as it does with different load on the motor and the lamps on and off.

Henk,

Tell us the truth now, did you use the free Alpladrome Robot that Bobby Johnson sent you for this conversion? :)

I planned on doing a conversion with the one he sent me....but I never received one.

Grandpa may I use your words as they apply equally to my situation:

I planned on doing a conversion with the one he sent me....but I never received one.

Goodness. A laser on a couple of double A s. I thought lasers ran on a zillion volts. It still sounds awfully high tech, but I approve, anyway. On my piles of unfinished conversions, I'm hand painting my simulated litho with "Old Holland" oil paints. I believe they're made someplace in your local territory, H.I. So, oil paint. That's my idea of high tech. I'm leaving the lasers to you.

Very cool! but be careful! Kids, don't run this robot under a skylight, or outside - you may get arrested for flashing laser lights at commercial airline pilots!

Cool robot Henk!!!!

Robert, a friend who bought one of my laser rifles with a laser pointer inside was playing with it. He accidently fired it into a second story apartment. The resident apparently thought he was being targeted, called the police. There was some explaning and demonstration done to prove the Lost in Space rifle would not incinerate anyone.

Archived